1. #1 Trump Executive Order to 'censor the Internet' denounced as dangerous and unconstitut 
    link

left-of-center2012 (17,688 posts) Trump Executive Order to 'censor the Internet' denounced as dangerous and unconstitutional

“In practice, this executive order would mean that whichever political party is in power could dictate what speech is allowed on the Internet.” Civil liberties groups are warning of a major threat to online freedoms and First Amendment rights if a leaked draft of a Trump administration edict—dubbed by critics as a “Censor the Internet” executive order that would give powerful federal agencies far-reaching powers to pick and choose which kind of Internet material is and is not acceptable—is allowed to go into effect.

CNN notes that if put into effect, “the order would reflect a significant escalation by President Trump in his frequent attacks against social media companies over an alleged but unproven systemic bias against conservatives by technology platforms. And it could lead to a significant reinterpretation of a law that, its authors have insisted, was meant to give tech companies broad freedom to handle content as they see fit.”

“It’s hard to put into words how mind bogglingly absurd this executive order is,” said Evan Greer, deputy director of Fight for the Future, in a tweet. “In the name of defending free speech it would allow mass government censorship of online content. In practice, it means whichever party is in power can decide what speech is allowed on the internet.”

PEN America, which defends the free expression for writers, journalists, and others, warned that any executive order based on this draft rule would be an unconstitutional “anti-American edict.”

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/08/lea...utional-edict/
    And why is he doing it? Because liberals are kicking off anyone they disagree with, especially conservatives. They are no longer just providing a means for people to communicate, they are PUBLISHING - controlling what gets said and who says it.

The fascist DUmmies don't like it that President Trump may do something to end their fascist discrimination of conservatives on the internet.

Proud Liberal Dem (18,439 posts)

1. The party that repealed and refused to reinstate the Fairness Doctrine

now wants their own. What a bunch of whiny hypocrites. Not to mention the fact that conservatives are hardly treated unfairly on social media and if they are getting removed from various platforms at a higher rate (though not really high enough), it's usually correctly justified by their poor conduct while using them (which social media companies. Also, I might add that right-wingers, if anything, have been somewhat successful in driving women, LGBTQ+, POC off of social media by (fraudulently) reporting on them.
    Hortensis (32,141 posts)

18. This is a classic fascistic move to control media,

not a RW counterpart to the Fairness Doctrine's attempt to make sure the electorate has exposure to some of the honest news it needs to make responsible decisions.

I agree with you in essence that this is a dangerous move, but darn it, they're not hypocrites, they're hostile revolutionaries deceiving the people into remaining quiet while their nation is taken over, and it would be only the beginning once they got the power they're going for.
    ancianita (10,633 posts)

2. DAMN THIS DICTATORSHIP!
    So say the idiots who are working overtime to criminalize conservative thought and beliefs.
    Initech (76,574 posts)

6. Ironic how the people who are the most pro-free speech are the ones looking to destroy it.
    Sorry Jack*sses. Facebook, twitter or the like are the ones LIMITING and ENDING freedom of speech by banning anyone and anything they disagree with. Calling what you don't agree with "hate speech" doesn't make it so.

nolabear (32,266 posts)

8. You cannot imagine how far this could reach.

Education, commerce, creative work, access to jobs, civil rights, practically everything we do or are depends on access to information and to creating information.

Were he to get away with it I would not want to live here any more.
    shraby (21,755 posts)

23. He can't just wipe out the first amendment regardin freedom of speech

with a stroke of his pen.
    The ACLU will be all over his ass like a bunch of ticks.
    What a bunch of either IDIOTS or PROPAGANDISTS.

He isn't going to censor anyone's speech. It is to COMBAT DEMOCRATS/LIBERALS censoring speech they disagree with by calling it "hate" and then banning them.

pangaia (22,235 posts)

37. Gotta say, I've been waiting for this for 2 1'2 years.

nolabear (32,266 posts)

43. Oh we wouldn't last a minute.
    Liberals are divorced from reality and they think it's great. When you live in la la land you're never wrong, it's always the other person/groups fault and you can believe what you want to believe and call it 'truth'.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    pangaia (22,235 posts)

What might happen to DU ? I suspect we would be a top priority target. Or maybe I just think we are too important..

I'll take not important in the least for $1000.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Are there details on this E.O. available? The devil is in the details.
    The United States Navy, fighting Moslem barbarians since 1801.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ (and bring body bags)

pangaia (22,235 posts)

What might happen to DU ? I suspect we would be a top priority target. Or maybe I just think we are too important..
    If RawStory's claim were true DU would not have been there for you to post. But yes, most DU-folk do seem to have a very inflated view of DU's significance.

Quote Originally Posted by old dog View Post
    Are there details on this E.O. available? The devil is in the details.
    Well, since the source is RawStory, the first question should be whether there was an EO. Assuming there was some sort of EO, it probably does nothing like RawStory claims, because RawStory.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

"Handmaid's Tale" is Christian-Bashing Hate Speech

And the answer to my first question is ...

Trump’s anti-bias order sounds like a nonsensical warning shot against Facebook

The Trump administration is supposedly drafting an executive order to stop “bias” on sites like Facebook and Twitter — an unprecedented government push to control how platforms moderate content. CNN reported some broad details on the proposal, supposedly called “Protecting Americans from Online Censorship,” last week. It says the White House wants federal agencies to start policing social media moderation by “clarifying” when companies can invoke an important legal shield.

According to CNN, the order targets Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, which protects websites from liability over what users post. But the president can’t just rewrite the law, so he’s reportedly planning to ask the Federal Communications Commission to change how it’s interpreted. The Federal Trade Commission is also involved... somehow. Together, the agencies are supposed to crack down on politically biased moderation — which may or may not exist, since the evidence for it is generally anecdotal.

CNN emphasized that this framework could change, and Politico previously wrote that several different versions have been circulated. ...
    ... there's no such EO at present (my emphasis). Maybe there will be, maybe there won't, and if there will, nobody knows what it calls for. RawStory lied, and DU-folk bought the lie. Unsurprisingly, and unsurprisingly.

They loved the fuck out it when Social Media censored anyone who disagreed with the Moonbats, SJWs and other Leftists.

Now that censorship might stop, they're screaming bloody murder.

Sorry jerkazoids but you'll HAVE TO debate someone rather then run off and demand someone get banned because you don't have any facts and logic scares the shit out of you.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

The headline of that article is an outright lie and FAKE NEWS. Conservative views are being censored right now. I guess you could say they were for the censorship before they were against it. The level of deception in that article is unbelievable.

70 Replies, and I don't think even one thought to ask for a link to the EO text. And Trump's EOs are very easy to find.

I 'follow' the Head of the FCC, Ajit Pai, on Twitter.

Here's what he's talking about so far today:

celebrating the first communications-satellite, Echo 1, in 1960
    commenting on the sat's antenna-builders, who won the Nobel for discovering 'background microwave radiation'
    commenting that classifying 911-dispatchers as 'administrative staff', doesn't make sense
    posting a pic from the OPCD911 Distinguished Achievers Breakfast
    posting a pic commemorating Bombay as a city who took-in a million refugees in 1940
    posting a pic of a 10-year-old Jim Kelly getting Terry Bradshaw's autograph in 1970

That's the President's man in-charge of the internet. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ANYWHERE about EO anything. The FCC's doings are so far above Raw Story's IQ-level, it's astounding.