Thread: Xi in a box?

1. #1 Xi in a box? 
    Yesterday, President Trump suggested that Xi meet with the leaders of the Hong Kong protests and "work things out in 15 minutes". This leaves Xi with three options:

1. Follow the Donald's advice and work things out. Lose face domestically.

2. Ignore but quietly move troops away from the HK borders and make a statement re-affirming HK's ( temporary) political self-government.

3. Move in and crush the protesters. Make Tiananmen Square look like child's play. Cement his international reputation as a brutal dictatorial thug.

What happens next ...

It is also of interest that the founder of AliBaba has just paid a record amount for an NBA team. He is a smart guy and I don't believe he is fulfilling a lifelong dream of owning a U.S. major sports franchise. He is getting part of his fortune out of Dodge City while the gittin is good. Capital flight.

The United States Navy, fighting Moslem barbarians since 1801.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ (and bring body bags)
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected. G. K. Chesterton

This is the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title:

Progressivism is a bottomless pit of absurdity.

IMO, China drew a line in the sand they shouldn't. Hong Kong is not accustomed to restrictions on their freedoms, so resistance was predictable. By threatening military force, China set up a situation where the most likely outcomes are having to back down, or killing a golden-egg-laying goose by using the threatened force.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

"Handmaid's Tale" is Christian-Bashing Hate Speech

?????????????????????

I guess that I am light years removed from popular culture.

The United States Navy, fighting Moslem barbarians since 1801.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ (and bring body bags)
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected. G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    IMO, China drew a line in the sand they shouldn't. Hong Kong is not accustomed to restrictions on their freedoms, so resistance was predictable. By threatening military force, China set up a situation where the most likely outcomes are having to back down, or killing a golden-egg-laying goose by using the threatened force.
    Threatening military force raises the chances of actually having to use it by whole orders of magnitude, and there aren't any good outcomes from using it. A serious mistake.

America's finest military-analysts are watching every move, studying every frame of film...

That's why Xi will lost-likely 'retire due to health-reasons' in the near future. The Communist Party has put him in a smaller box by meddling in the Hong Kong strife, having already boxed-in Xi by meddling in the US trade-deal after it was basically finalized.

The Party wanders from situation-to-situation without a compass. Even North Vietnam seems to be bossing China around lately. Here's a hot new-bulletin for the Chi-Coms... NV will 'go to war' against them. As will Malaysia, I bet. In an odd way, Trump is Reagan-ing China, facilitating huge amounts of cash to be spent on those fake South China Sea islands nobody's scared of.