Thread: 2020 dry run?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tecate View Post
    Iím so tired of being punished as a saver though. How theyíve kept inflation in reasonable check is beyond me with the trillions of dollars in money printing. Itís far above my pay grade.
    Ya get around that punishment by being an investor rather than a saver.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    Ya get around that punishment by being an investor rather than a saver.
    I guess I’m longing for the good old days, when bankers used to jump out of 30 story windows. Yes! Those were the good old days! Now they get multi-trillion dollar bailouts for making bad bets. If I go to Vegas and bet my life savings on the roulette wheel, do I get a bailout when I lose? My guess is, NO.

Sorry, but it just pisses me off still to this day. Bloomberg tracked the cost to the American taxpayer up to $24 trillion at the time and then it just stopped.

Iím so tired of being punished as a saver though. How theyíve kept inflation in reasonable check is beyond me with the trillions of dollars in money printing. Itís far above my pay grade.
    Ain't it the truth. They do falsify inflation figures. A one pound can of coffee at 4 bucks becomes a 12 ounce can of coffee at 4 bucks. No inflation here, it's a new product on the market. Shameful.

The United States Navy, fighting Moslem barbarians since 1801.

Candace Owens for President 2024.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQgbN76AWrw

Quote Originally Posted by old dog View Post
    Ain't it the truth. They do falsify inflation figures. A one pound can of coffee at 4 bucks becomes a 12 ounce can of coffee at 4 bucks. No inflation here, it's a new product on the market. Shameful.
    I was pretty young in the 1970ís but I heard about the ridiculous interest rates at the time. Iíve also heard that they did the same thing with products at the time. Shrink the volume of the package, and charge the same or even more for it. I know of one sterling example in todayís world. Right Guard aerosol deodorant. It used to be 10 ounces, now itís 8.5 ounces. You donít pay any less, they just made the plastic cap a little taller. You pay the same, or more for less product.

I was pretty young in the 1970ís but I heard about the ridiculous interest rates at the time.
    I got a 9% fixed rate 30 year mortgage in the late 70's and I thought it was manna from heaven.

The United States Navy, fighting Moslem barbarians since 1801.

Candace Owens for President 2024.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQgbN76AWrw

Quote Originally Posted by old dog View Post
    I got a 9% fixed rate 30 year mortgage in the late 70's and I thought it was manna from heaven.
    I just recently asked my father how much he paid for the house we moved into in 1974? He said, it was $40,000. But the interest rate was probably very high. Well into the double digits. I was just a child at the time.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    I was pretty young in the 1970ís but I heard about the ridiculous interest rates at the time. Iíve also heard that they did the same thing with products at the time. Shrink the volume of the package, and charge the same or even more for it. I know of one sterling example in todayís world. Right Guard aerosol deodorant. It used to be 10 ounces, now itís 8.5 ounces. You donít pay any less, they just made the plastic cap a little taller. You pay the same, or more for less product.
    Don't get Crazy Uncle Bernie talking about deodorant. He thinks there are too many kinds.

https://reason.com/2015/05/26/bernie...-choices-of-d/
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    Don't get Crazy Uncle Bernie talking about deodorant. He thinks there are too many kinds.

https://reason.com/2015/05/26/bernie...-choices-of-d/
    Iíll just go full stink, itís for the greater good and for the children! We all have to do our part!