link

pnwmom (99,707 posts)

Parkland students unveil sweeping gun control proposal and hope for a youth voting surge in 2020

Source: WA Post

The student activists who crashed the political arena after the mass shooting last year at their high school in Parkland, Fla., are throwing their weight behind a new and ambitious gun-control program that they hope will set the tone for the debate following the most recent mass shootings and headed into the 2020 elections.

The students are speaking out for the first time since 31 people were killed in one weekend in El Paso and Dayton, Ohio. They hope their plan — unveiled Wednesday morning — will be considered by President Trump as well as his Democratic presidential rivals and will serve as a catalyst for a surge of youth voters next year.

“I think similarly to a lot of the country, I’m in a lot of pain right now,” said David Hogg, 19, a co-founder of March for Our Lives and a survivor of the shooting in February 2018 at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. “You see these shootings on TV every day and very little happening around it. It’s painful to watch. And I think it’s been really hard for me and many of the other students and people that we work with to find hope in this time.

“But I think that this plan is something that we can truly — as a country and as Americans united against violence and fighting for peace — can get behind.”

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...be4_story.html

Their plan? Wholesale gun banning and everything they could think about to make owning guns difficult.

Includes....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...be4_story.html

The Peace Plan would create a national licensing and gun registry, long a nonstarter with gun rights advocates; ban assault weapons and high-capacity magazines; implement a mandatorygun buyback program; and install a “national director of gun violence prevention” who would report directly to the president and coordinate the federal response to what advocates call a national public health emergency

It would dramatically increase restrictions around owning guns in ways sure to spark fierce blowback, including raising the age to 21 from 18 for those who want to buy guns. It calls for a “multi-step” gun licensing system, overseen by a federal agency, that would include in-person interviews and a 10-day wait before gun purchases are approved. The license would be renewed annually.

In the vein of the Green New Deal, the Peace Plan takes a holistic approach to gun violence by also calling for automatic voter registration when those eligible turn 18..........

March for Our Lives is calling for a mandatory buyback of all assault weapons and a voluntary buyback of handguns and other firearms. O’Rourke has said that he would support a mandatory buyback program, while Biden and Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) have been more skeptical, pushing for voluntary programs.
You can read the entire 'plan' here:

https://games-cdn.washingtonpost.com...a84da157ae.pdf

The last 3 years Democrats have shown us what they are willing to do to gain/maintain power and what they do when they do not have it. They define everything they disagree with as 'hate' .... even words in order to shut down the opposition.

It's pretty clear what they would do if they had power and conservatives did not have guns.