Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    A couple of people called in to KSFO's morning drive show today who had been on that boat 10-15 times each (independently, not together). They confirmed what Dlr Pyro had said, that the company is top-notch and very safety conscious. A couple of points they made:

* Contrary to some media reports, there is no lockable hatch between the bunk area and the top deck;

* Contrary to some media reports, there was an escape to the outside at the rear of the bunk area;

* The company is meticulous about briefing passenger concerning safety features, including means of emergency exit;

* The boat had automated fire suppression equipment and heat detectors in key areas such as the engine and generator rooms, and the crew are trained to fight fire.

Those callers' speculation was that the cause could have been one of the passengers' several laptop or cell phone or camera or etc. lithium batteries that were being charged over night in the bunk or galley area (as is commonly done) caught fire. As I said, speculation.
    That speculation about batteries being charged in the galley/salon area may be correct. On my previous trips on this boat, the underwater photographers would charge the lights and equipment for their underwater cameras on the dining area tables as they had electrical outlets at the tables and were a secure and safe place for the equipment.

The main access to the passenger berthing area is a staircase that is in the front of the salon area and to the right of the galley. There was no door at the top or bottom of the stairs that could be locked. USCG inspectors would never allow a door that could be locked trapping passengers below decks, so if the fire started in the galley area, this stairwell access would have been blocked and restrict passengers from exiting this way. There were emergency escape hatches near the rear of the berthing area to give people an escape route if the main passageway was blocked, but if the fire had spread to the escape hatches as well, or low visibility due to smoke and panic caused by the ordeal, I can see how the passengers would be trapped with no way out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "Even if Trump didn't pay Russian hookers to pee on one another to defile a bed the Obamas once slept on it sounds like something he would do and that's all that matters." DemocratSinceBirth, Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM

"Enemy. The word you are looking for is enemy. When the ideals of someone are antithetical to yours, you can say the word "enemy". DUmmy ret5hd Fri Aug 24, 2018, 05:10 PM

One question: Would the cook be up at 3:15 every day 'to begin' getting breakfast ready? Seems a little early. I saw an interview with the cook's brother, who was waiting for him to get out of the infirmary... The reporter's question was left dangling without a follow-up as the cook emerged... " Did your brother notice anything suspicious in the galley? "

" I don't know. He was topside. "

I went to the Truth Aquatic's website https://www.truthaquatics.com/ and found a schematic of the below decks bunk area.

Near the bow on the starboard side you can see 2 sets of stairs with the text "up to galley". This was the only regular access from topside to the bunking area that some press reports speculate had a locking door restricting access. This is not true from a USCG regulations stand point as well as a customer service point of view. Why would the crew lock their paying customers below deck? Makes no sense, but I think the locked door theory came from the radio transcript between the Captain of the Conception and the USCG, where the USCG brings up the matter of a locked door

Coast Guard: Your vessel is on fire, is that correct?

Vessel: (Unintelligible)

CG: Roger, you're on board Conception?

CG: Roger, there are 33 people on board the vessel that's on fire and they can't get off?

CG: Roger, are they locked inside the boat?

CG: Roger, can you get back on board and unlock the doors so they can get off?

CG: Roger, you don't have any firefighting gear at all, no fire extinguishers or anything?

CG: Is this the captain of the Conception?

CG: (Unintelligible). Roger, was that all the crew that jumped off?

CG: Roger, is the vessel fully engulfed?

CG: Roger, and there's no escape hatch for any of the people on board?
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...pt/2194064001/

I believe the Captain of the Conception was relaying to the USCG that the passengers were trapped below decks, but the USCG heard "locked", not trapped

This is a picture of the belowdecks bunk area looking forward. The staircase to the galley can be seen at the center of the picture. It is a semi spiral staircase that is open at the top as well as the sides and at the bottom of the stairs, so there is no way to lock passengers down there. Most likely their egress was blocked by fire.

Last is a picture of the fleet of Truth Aquatics. I checked my dive logbook and I have been on 3 trips on the Vision and 7 trips on the Conception. The company kept their boats up to top standards and the crew was very professional and treated the passengers extremely well.
    "Even if Trump didn't pay Russian hookers to pee on one another to defile a bed the Obamas once slept on it sounds like something he would do and that's all that matters." DemocratSinceBirth, Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM

"Enemy. The word you are looking for is enemy. When the ideals of someone are antithetical to yours, you can say the word "enemy". DUmmy ret5hd Fri Aug 24, 2018, 05:10 PM

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac shark View Post
    One question: Would the cook be up at 3:15 every day 'to begin' getting breakfast ready? Seems a little early. I saw an interview with the cook's brother, who was waiting for him to get out of the infirmary... The reporter's question was left dangling without a follow-up as the cook emerged... " Did your brother notice anything suspicious in the galley? "

" I don't know. He was topside. "
    On these live-a-board dive boats, it is common for some of the passengers to do night dives or early morning dives. These dive charters are all inclusive and one of the big selling points is the specialized treatment and gourmet food available for the passengers around the clock. The crew would usually have coffee and pastries out on the counter for early risers, but 3:15 does seem a bit early for the cook to be preparing food in the Galley..

Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    A couple of people called in to KSFO's morning drive show today who had been on that boat 10-15 times each (independently, not together). They confirmed what Dlr Pyro had said, that the company is top-notch and very safety conscious. A couple of points they made:

* Contrary to some media reports, there is no lockable hatch between the bunk area and the top deck;

* Contrary to some media reports, there was an escape to the outside at the rear of the bunk area;

* The company is meticulous about briefing passenger concerning safety features, including means of emergency exit;

* The boat had automated fire suppression equipment and heat detectors in key areas such as the engine and generator rooms, and the crew are trained to fight fire.

Those callers' speculation was that the cause could have been one of the passengers' several laptop or cell phone or camera or etc. lithium batteries that were being charged over night in the bunk or galley area (as is commonly done) caught fire. As I said, speculation.
    This battery charging speculation is gaining traction...

A crew member who escaped the Conception dive boat almost immediately suspected a galley charging station as the source of the blaze. Shirley Hansen, who assisted survivors of California's worst maritime disaster since the 1800s from her boat near Santa Cruz Island on Monday, says the crew member described the galley as having a charging station where divers could plug in phones, cameras, laptops, and other equipment, per the Los Angeles Times. A diver who's boarded Conception some 100 times says numerous AC power outlets are located in an area "directly above" the divers' sleeping quarters. "You can plug in overnight," he says. "Sometimes with a lot of people on board, there'd be competition for space."

The boat's designer has another theory, however. Based on video footage, Roy Hauser believes the fire must've started in the bunk area and spread so rapidly that none of the 34 people below deck had time to escape up a staircase leading to the galley or through an escape hatch leading to a mess area beside the galley. "This had to have been, in my estimation, one of those lithium battery chargers," he says, noting there were electrical outlets in the bunk room. A dive instructor notes some boats no longer allow passengers to charge devices in bunk rooms due to the fire risk.
    https://www.newser.com/story/280060/...g-station.html

My last dive trip on the Conception was in the early '90's. Back then few people had laptops or cell/smart phones to charge and the lithium ion batteries that have been known to self ignite were not around. Most of the devices that were getting recharged at the outlets on the tables in the salon were dive lights for cameras and individual hand held lights. These all had nickel metal hydrade batteries that were not as pron to fires as the newer lithium ion batteries.