Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Like A Virgin? A Lot More Than You Might Think. 
    Like a Virgin: The Press Take On Teenage Sex Yes, attitudes do make a difference in behavior.

By WILLIAM MCGURN

The chain reaction was something out of central casting. A medical journal starts it off by announcing a study comparing teens who take a pledge of virginity until marriage with those who don't. Lo and behold, when they crunch the numbers, they find not much difference between pledgers and nonpledgers: most do not make it to the marriage bed as virgins.

Like a pack of randy 15-year-old boys, the press dives right in.

"Virginity Pledges Don't Stop Teen Sex," screams CBS News. "Virginity pledges don't mean much," adds CNN. "Study questions virginity pledges," says the Chicago Tribune. "Premarital Abstinence Pledges Ineffective, Study Finds," heralds the Washington Post. "Virginity Pledges Fail to Trump Teen Lust in Look at Older Data," reports Bloomberg. And on it goes.

In other words, teens will be teens, and moms or dads who believe that concepts such as restraint or morality have any application today are living in a dream world. Typical was the lead for the CBS News story: "Teenagers who take virginity pledges are no less sexually active than other teens, according to a new study."

Here's the rub: It just isn't true.

In fact, the only way the study's author, Janet Elise Rosenbaum of Johns Hopkins University, could reach such results was by comparing teens who take a virginity pledge with a very small subset of other teens: those who are just as religious and conservative as the pledge-takers. The study is called "Patient Teenagers? A Comparison of the Sexual Behavior of Virginity Pledgers and Matched Nonpledgers," and it was published in the Jan. 1 edition of Pediatrics.

The first to notice something lost in the translation was Dr. Bernadine Healy, the former head of both the Red Cross and the National Institutes of Health. Today she serves as health editor for U.S. News & World Report. And in her dispatch on this study, Dr. Healy pointed out that "virginity pledging teens were considerably more conservative in their overall sexual behaviors than teens in general -- a fact that many media reports have missed cold."

What Dr. Healy was getting at is that the pledge itself is not what distinguishes these kids from most other teenagers. The real difference is their more conservative and religious home and social environment. As she notes, when you compare both groups in this study with teens at large, the behavioral differences are striking. Here are just a few:

- These teens generally have less risky sex, i.e., fewer sexual partners.

- These teens are less likely to have a teenage pregnancy, or to have friends who use drugs.

- These teens have less premarital vaginal sex.

- When these teens lose their virginity they tend to do so at age 21 -- compared to 17 for the typical American teen.

- And very much overlooked, one out of four of these teens do in fact keep the pledge to remain chaste -- amid much cheap ridicule and just about zero support outside their homes or churches.

Let's put this another way. The real headline from this study is this: "Religious Teens Differ Little in Sexual Behavior Whether or Not They Take a Pledge."

Now, whatever the shock that might occasion at CBS or the Washington Post, it comes as no surprise to parents. Most parents appreciate that a pledge of virginity -- a one-time event that might be made at an emotional moment in a teen's life -- is not some talisman that will magically shield their sons and daughters from the strong and normal desires that grow as they discover their sexuality. What these parents hope to do is direct these desires in a way that recognizes sex as a great gift, which in the right circumstances fosters genuine intimacy between a man and a woman and at its freest offers the possibility of new life.
    Interesting. :)

WSJ

In some peer cirlces the pressure is encouragement to stay pure, and it helps many young people do just that!

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    In some peer cirlces the pressure is encouragement to stay pure, and it helps many young people do just that!
    In (one of) my circle of friends during High School, the idea of having sex in High School was ridiculed.

We certainly weren't a bunch of religious nuts or outcast dorks. Both guys and girls were included, and most dated regularly, either in multiple relationships or long standing ones. No matter the circumstances, most of us were virgins, and proud of it.

And this was during the '90s!

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    In (one of) my circle of friends during High School, the idea of having sex in High School was ridiculed.
    We would have ridiculed that too, in the seventies. Those wooden desks were uncomfortable.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    We would have ridiculed that too, in the seventies. Those wooden desks were uncomfortable.
    Had they invented wooden desks when you were going to high school? I figured they would have used piles of rocks.

Power CUer
    Nope. Those would be uncomfortable, too.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Nope. Those would be uncomfortable, too.
    How this country ever got through that decade, I have no idea.

Must have been lots and lots of acid.

Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post

We certainly weren't a bunch of religious nuts or outcast dorks. Both guys and girls were included, and most dated regularly, either in multiple relationships or long standing ones. No matter the circumstances, most of us were virgins, and proud of it.

And this was during the '90s!

I know what you mean. None of my friends in high school were having sex with their boyfriends-there were some girls who were, though. The ones who only had sex with their boyfriends only were not looked down on, but the ones who got around were ostracized as sluts. This was in 1978-82.

One of my friends got pregnant in 10th grade-she disappeared for the rest of the year, had her baby, gave it up and came back her junior year. 2 girls graduated with visable baby bumps, but they did graduate. My older brother's sometime girlfriend was a bit slutty (my brother had sex with her in our basement once, while both sets of parents were playing cards upstairs), but she was so nice that other girls didn't hate her for it. She's the one who got me to go to Young Life, too, which is kind of ironic. As I had a brother who was only one grade ahead of me and known to beat up boys who flirted with me, very few boys in school wanted to deal with that. I usually dated guys from other schools, for that reason.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I know what you mean. None of my friends in high school were having sex with their boyfriends-there were some girls who were, though. The ones who only had sex with their boyfriends only were not looked down on, but the ones who got around were ostracized as sluts. This was in 1978-82.

One of my friends got pregnant in 10th grade-she disappeared for the rest of the year, had her baby, gave it up and came back her junior year. 2 girls graduated with visable baby bumps, but they did graduate. My older brother's sometime girlfriend was a bit slutty (my brother had sex with her in our basement once, while both sets of parents were playing cards upstairs), but she was so nice that other girls didn't hate her for it. She's the one who got me to go to Young Life, too, which is kind of ironic. As I had a brother who was only one grade ahead of me and known to beat up boys who flirted with me, very few boys in school wanted to deal with that. I usually dated guys from other schools, for that reason.
    I can't say it was much different in high school as it seems to be in adult hood.

Guys who sleep around are looked on as cool, suave, doing-what-guys-do, cute, manly, etc

Girls who sleep around are dirty, filthy, whores, bad news, sluts, tramps, skanks, bitches, trash, etc

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    I can't say it was much different in high school as it seems to be in adult hood.

Guys who sleep around are looked on as cool, suave, doing-what-guys-do, cute, manly, etc

Girls who sleep around are dirty, filthy, whores, bad news, sluts, tramps, skanks, bitches, trash, etc
    It's not quite that simple or it isn't anymore, anyway. There are plenty of male sluts around and they aren't very highly regarded except by their fellow sluts. As for girls or women being considered skanks, well, you have to do more than just have a busy dance card to be a skank. Skandom goes way beyond promiscuity.

There have been some interesting studies on high school sexual behavior over the last few years but they don't get much notice in the media because the conclusions look racist and elitist. Basically, academically motivated students from middle class homes with ambitious parents delay reproductive sex for a long, long time. They also have fewer non-reproductive sexual encounters. This appears to be due to parental pressure. It's mostly white and Asian parents promoting the pressure currently.