WaPo, NYT: Contra CNN, Trump Was Not The Reason CIA Exfiltrated Asset From Russia; Update: Irresponsible Media Reporting Continues

The story appeared to confirm the worst fears about Donald Trump and his sometimes reckless public discourse. CNN’s Jim Sciutto reported yesterday that the CIA was forced to exfiltrate a mole deep within the Kremlin after Trump revealed too much intelligence in a one-on-one meeting with Vladimir Putin in 2017. The loss of this asset meant that Trump had essentially blinded the CIA just at a time when Russian aggression had escalated.

Sounds damning — except that wasn’t how it happened at all, both the New York Times and Washington Post report this morning. The exposure of the asset didn’t come from Trump, but instead from media reporting on Russian election interference from intel sources that revealed enough to put the asset at risk. The Post explicitly rejects Sciutto’s conclusions:

As American officials began to realize that Russia was trying to sabotage the 2016 presidential election, the informant became one of the C.I.A.’s most important — and highly protected — assets. But when intelligence officials revealed the severity of Russia’s election interference with unusual detail later that year, the news media picked up on details about the C.I.A.’s Kremlin sources.

C.I.A. officials worried about safety made the arduous decision in late 2016 to offer to extract the source from Russia.
CNN lied, or got hoovered by a liar(s). Unsurprisingly. The exposure was done by Obama's peeps during his administration.