Thread: Report: Ohio teacher burned cross on kids' arms

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Hallelujah! :D

Welcome back, crock.
    My sweetie teaches third grade at a charter school in Ohio. It's not really a Christian school, but the board is all Presbyterian pastors, so they are pretty Christian-friendly. It's somewhat of an elite school in an inner city area, almost all minority children. One of her kids pushed her right over a desk a couple of months ago. Of course, the school didn't do much but suspend the kid. He's back in her summer school class. When they get out of hand, she just calls their mothers now. Most of them will come down to the school and beat their own child with a belt right in front of the class. :D

Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    I have a gut feeling that the part about the teacher branding students is a hoax.
    yeah.. it all sounds pretty fishy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    According to reality. Religion gets its morals from the same place atheists get theirs from. God sure seems to have a lot of mutually exclusive and contradictory morals, when one takes into account the thousands of different religions in the world. If morals come from God.... then morals should be consistent across the entire human race.
    Your argument reminded me of this clip of Rummsfeld. . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjwqwa21jeU
    Whether Christian, atheist, Muslim, Jew, whatever, morality is fairly constant. When you were a small child, well before you had a concept of religion, you began to learn there is right and there is wrong. I don't participate in any organized religion nor do I reject the idea of an almighty being, but I still consider myself a moral person. IMHO, a rational, well adjusted person should be able to see what is the right thing to do if they're willing to be honest with themselves.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    Am I reading this right? You're saying there are Christians who on some level, support branding kids with a cross? Please say I misunderstood.
    Some? Yeah - about 14 in North America at the moment. My point was that like 400 years ago - people can use any supposed icon to get more than a bit carried away, and using that very safe feeling and a fall back position of labeling others as "heretics" and therefor doing unspeakable acts - justifying their Lord's supposed law.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Patent Member
    Your argument reminded me of this clip of Rummsfeld. . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjwqwa21jeU
    I don't understand what was so funny about that clip.

Banned
    Whether Christian, atheist, Muslim, Jew, whatever, morality is fairly constant. When you were a small child, well before you had a concept of religion, you began to learn there is right and there is wrong. I don't participate in any organized religion nor do I reject the idea of an almighty being, but I still consider myself a moral person. IMHO, a rational, well adjusted person should be able to see what is the right thing to do if they're willing to be honest with themselves.
    In order to function, society must agree upon certain "morals," if you chose to call them that. As an example, stealing is "morally bad," as if it were allowed and condoned, the societal framework would break apart. That most religions and semi-religions, e.g. Confucianism, share a basic set of principles, is not an indication that a God stepped down to provide them (or wrote them in stone), but rather that they are principles that facilitate the development of a society in which humans can coexist.

Quote Originally Posted by crockspot View Post
    He's back in her summer school class. When they get out of hand, she just calls their mothers now. Most of them will come down to the school and beat their own child with a belt right in front of the class. :D
    Is that really true? That is an awesome idea. I just read your post to my wife. We both immediately agreed what an supremely effective technique that would be. Bravo.

Don't get me wrong, I don't endorse child abuse. But to let a child grow up without understanding their actions have consequences is truly cruel.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    In order to function, society must agree upon certain "morals," if you chose to call them that. As an example, stealing is "morally bad," as if it were allowed and condoned, the societal framework would break apart. That most religions and semi-religions, e.g. Confucianism, share a basic set of principles, is not an indication that a God stepped down to provide them (or wrote them in stone), but rather that they are principles that facilitate the development of a society in which humans can coexist.
    Bad pun, otherwise totally agree.

Politically tired.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vepr View Post
    Witches were not burned at the stake in America but it was not an uncommon punishment by the church in Europe.
    Didn't Joan of Arc get burned at the stake?

Politically tired.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    I have a gut feeling that the part about the teacher branding students is a hoax.
    I think the parents are confirming it happened.

on edit:

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/06/...6651213940683/

The parents say that Freshwater used a piece of electrical equipment to etch a cross on their son in December. When they complained, the district responded by telling the teacher not to do anything similar in the future.
    Yuk.
    Last edited by Lanie; 06-21-2008 at 09:31 PM.