link

babylonsister (161,925 posts)

The Rude Pundit: That Letter From Trump Is Punk Ass Bitchery

http://rudepundit.blogspot.com/2019/...-punk-ass.html

The Rude Pundit
Proudly lowering the level of political discourse
10/08/2019
That Letter From Trump Is Punk Ass Bitchery

The Constitution is pretty fucking clear in how vague it is about impeachment. All it says in Article I is "The House of Representatives shall choose their speaker and other officers; and shall have the sole power of impeachment" and "The Senate shall have the sole power to try all impeachments" with more procedure following there. But that's after impeachment in the House. In Article II, you get this: the president "shall have power to grant reprieves and pardons for offenses against the United States, except in cases of impeachment." That's interesting, no? Oh, and this: "The President...shall be removed from office on impeachment for, and conviction of, treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors." There's also something about a jury not being required.

There ya go. Everything else is up to the House of Representatives on how to proceed, which is guaranteed by the Constitution ("Each House may determine the rules of its proceedings" ). Nothing in there about a vote to open an impeachment inquiry. Nothing in there about anything. At this point, the Democratic-led House of Representatives can make up any fuckin' rules it wants: "Republicans can only ask questions if they do so without pants" or "Democrats can make farting noises when Republicans speak." Or, you know, let's just investigate this and get on with it, which is what Democrats are trying to do.

snip//

Most impotently, Trump challenges Pelosi to hold a vote on the inquiry: "the House of Representatives has never attempted to launch an impeachment inquiry against the President without a majority of the House taking political accountability for that decision by voting to authorize such a dramatic constitutional step." And that gives the game away. "Political accountability" just means "I want some shit to make more campaign ads. I want some names I can toss around at my rallies of the damned."

Right now, I'm hearing the punditocracy say that Democrats should knuckle under and let Republicans have more say. They keep talking about previous impeachment hearings like Republicans now are even remotely like Republicans in 1974 (and, in 1998, it was Republicans running it). Fuck that. They are rabid dogs. Rabid dogs don't get to be treated with "fairness."

This is of a piece with the lawsuit blocking the Southern District of New York from getting Trump's taxes. Trump's lawyers argued that the president can't be held accountable for any crimes while president. It was such a breathtaking argument that a federal judge said, essentially, "Oh, fuck to the no on that shit." Now, in this letter to Democrats, his lawyer is arguing that you can't impeach the president if the president doesn't think he should be impeached. Or, in other words, he's not just above the law; he's above the Constitution.

Democrats should respond to the letter by escalating this shit. Break out the inherent contempt. Arrest some motherfuckers. Make people beg to talk. They wanna play this hard? You gotta go harder. Fuck going high. Break the foundation under them.

FM123 (4,330 posts)

1. "Break the foundation under them"

This is exactly what we must do!
Bernardo de La Paz (29,614 posts)

6. And first chance legislate away any chance of establishing such a corrupt & illegitimate regime. .nt
Ponietz (930 posts)

7. Recommend

Break the traitors
calimary (54,080 posts)

9. SUPERB point.

“They are rabid dogs. Rabid dogs don’t get to be treated with “fairness.”

But... both sides! Both SIIIIIIIIIDES!!!
So. Democrats are refusing to vote on an impeachment inquiry and have been doing everything in secrecy. They're refusing to vote because they don[t want their vulnerable members to have to take a side publicly, but also to keep Republicans from being able to subpoena witnesses and interview/question witnesses and to keep it from the court system - ie. Republican's taking the subpoenas to the court for a ruling on constitutionality and relevance.

In other words THEY DON'T WANT IT TO BE FAIR.

Is this how they are going to do things if they win the Presidency and the chambers of congress? Thug rule. If they don't like something arbitrarily change the rules in their favor. We don't like you, we'll accuse you of something and refuse to allow you to defend yourself or know what is going on. If we don't like you we'll shut you up.

Democrat thugs and they're proud of it.