Thread: Snake

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Damn guys, snakes are good people. I had three as pets when I was still a kid and kept an 18Ē rattler in a terrarium in my classroom in New Mexico. We have copperheads, hognose and whips in our yard and the vacant lots next door now. (Donít tell my wife) I got a lot of credits on my masters degree playing herpetologist at ENMU. I added over a thousand individual samples to the profís collection.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    Damn guys, snakes are good people. I had three as pets when I was still a kid and kept an 18Ē rattler in a terrarium in my classroom in New Mexico. We have copperheads, hognose and whips in our yard and the vacant lots next door now. (Donít tell my wife) I got a lot of credits on my masters degree playing herpetologist at ENMU. I added over a thousand individual samples to the profís collection.
    I'm not actually scared of non-poisonous snakes. We have lots of the little garter snakes in Michigan, black with yellow stripes. We also have blue racers around, which are kind of pretty. We used to catch garter snakes in my backyard and let them go after a few minutes.

When I was about 4, we went to a carnival where a guy draped a boa around my shoulders. I didn't freak out and liked the snake, so my dad and grandpa were impressed. My older brother wouldn't go near it.

There are rattlesnakes in MI, but they are small and don't have enough venom in them to kill an adult. There are copperheads in the UP, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    The vast majority of snakes are harmless to humans, and Iím not into killing things just for the sake of it. But, when rattlesnakes are hanging out right outside the wall where you sleep, the shotgun tends to come out. When we go out to the ranch in Bertram, our standing order is to kill all coyotes, rattlesnakes, and chupacabras. Mostly it ends up being beer, whiskey, and target shooting. Makers Mark isnít allowed at a public shooting range.