Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32
  1. #1 Saturday Thread..ON SATURDAY!!!! 
    Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Posts
    13,581
    Woot!!!

    Just got back from vacation. Did mucho hiking. Am mucho sore.

    I love the tests, political and fun, that some of you guys, or if you're from Philadelphia, youse guys, post in the Lounge.

    Through these, I have discovered, among other things, that I am a left-leaning libertarian Walrus. Funny, I always thought of myself as more of a moderate Walrus. I guess I was deceiving myself.

    Anyway, some of these tests are very spot-on, and others seem to miss the boat entirely.

    TOTD: Labels. Sometimes a political label, or any kind of label for that matter, winds up saying too much or not enough. Labels can be convenient heuristic devices to facilitate discussion or classify in gross terms, but they often can and do break down in detailed analysis.

    How do you feel about labels, about yourself being labeled, and labels that you perhaps apply to others?

    Liberal. Conservative. Neo-con. Moderate.

    Nothing too heavy here. Remember, this is The Lounge.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member DarkScribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    787
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Woot!!!

    Just got back from vacation. Did mucho hiking. Am mucho sore.

    I love the tests, political and fun, that some of you guys, or if you're from Philadelphia, youse guys, post in the Lounge.

    Through these, I have discovered, among other things, that I am a left-leaning libertarian Walrus. Funny, I always thought of myself as more of a moderate Walrus. I guess I was deceiving myself.

    Anyway, some of these tests are very spot-on, and others seem to miss the boat entirely.

    TOTD: Labels. Sometimes a political label, or any kind of label for that matter, winds up saying too much or not enough. Labels can be convenient heuristic devices to facilitate discussion or classify in gross terms, but they often can and do break down in detailed analysis.

    How do you feel about labels, about yourself being labeled, and labels that you perhaps apply to others?

    Liberal. Conservative. Neo-con. Moderate.

    Nothing too heavy here. Remember, this is The Lounge.
    Is this really Cold Warrior talking? I can't handle these type of Day Thread topics on the weekends, man...

    Kidding.

    TOTD: Labels can be a good or bad thing, depending on what exactly is being rendered. Suppose it is just a matter of opinion. I mean, take this kinda format, an internet bulletin board. I am sure many of us have sorta mentally labeled each other in one way or another and that is mostly off-kilter to a degree. Unless you spend a good deal of "offline" time really getting to know that person, you can not really, truly know. Kinda how I mentally label JV as a goofy smartass (well...he is lol), or Cold Warrior as an elitist snob (okay, this isn't working...)...but you get my drift. As a whole I think it is only natural for us human beings to label ANYTHING as a way of understanding it. Doesn't always make it...right. Or true.

    I really don't care if someone labels me one way or another...here or in Real Life...doesn't matter to me, as long as it isn't anything BAD. :p
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    BSR
    Guest
    Did someone say Caturday?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    BSR
    Guest
    TOTD: To early for philosophical questions like this. I just cracked a red bull. Give me till...oh..... 2:30 pm to wake up..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Posts
    13,581
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    Is this really Cold Warrior talking? I can't handle these type of Day Thread topics on the weekends, man...

    Kidding.

    TOTD: Labels can be a good or bad thing, depending on what exactly is being rendered. Suppose it is just a matter of opinion. I mean, take this kinda format, an internet bulletin board. I am sure many of us have sorta mentally labeled each other in one way or another and that is mostly off-kilter to a degree. Unless you spend a good deal of "offline" time really getting to know that person, you can not really, truly know. Kinda how I mentally label JV as a goofy smartass (well...he is lol), or Cold Warrior as an elitist snob (okay, this isn't working...)...but you get my drift. As a whole I think it is only natural for us human beings to label ANYTHING as a way of understanding it. Doesn't always make it...right. Or true.

    I really don't care if someone labels me one way or another...here or in Real Life...doesn't matter to me, as long as it isn't anything BAD. :p

    Well next Saturday will be the Tour de France thread. I know. You can't wait.

    Yeah, I'm much like you on the subject of labels. Handy to a point then not of much use. The thing is, so much of our public political discourse is aimed at applying labels to the 'other' side. It's a handy tactic, setting up a straw man to knock down, and it is not a new thing.

    When I came to CU, from another board on the other side, I found so much more diverse opinion here than is presented of us on the left. The monolithic Right-yada-yada-yada-whatever- they- say doesn't exist.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Posts
    13,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas View Post
    Did someone say Caturday?


    Nice. The snow shovel thing is great, but if there were no caption I'd get a Clockwork Orange kinda vibe.

    Singin' In the Rain..snip snip...

    No one else sees that.... do you....?
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    We're starting to get ready for the big 4th of July blowout and I probably have to go to the grocery store today sometime (the gatherer part of hunter-gatherer is overrated). However, aside from cleaning the house, I don't have a lot planned today and I can use the break.

    TOTD: I think labels can be very useful among insiders but almost useless when used by outsiders. As an example, I'm Christian and I like to discuss doctrine and practice with others a lot. I know that Evangelicals and Charismatics aren't necessarily born-again and that Copts, Greek Orthodox, and Confessing Presbyterians are all "orthodox". I know that traditional Roman Catholics and Landmark Baptists both believe the Five Fundamentals of Christian theology and that they are "fundamentalists".

    These distinctions are helpful and useful among ourselves but they are divisive and deceptive when used by cultural Christians, agnostics, and politicians. Outsiders use these terms with no real understanding of what they mean to believers. When outsiders use the term "fundamentalist" it doesn't refer to specific points of theology and doctrine, it's just a code word for crazy Christians who want your kids to be ignorant and your wife to be chained to a stove in the kitchen.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Posts
    13,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    We're starting to get ready for the big 4th of July blowout and I probably have to go to the grocery store today sometime (the gatherer part of hunter-gatherer is overrated). However, aside from cleaning the house, I don't have a lot planned today and I can use the break.

    TOTD: I think labels can be very useful among insiders but almost useless when used by outsiders. As an example, I'm Christian and I like to discuss doctrine and practice with others a lot. I know that Evangelicals and Charismatics aren't necessarily born-again and that Copts, Greek Orthodox, and Confessing Presbyterians are all "orthodox". I know that traditional Roman Catholics and Landmark Baptists both believe the Five Fundamentals of Christian theology and that they are "fundamentalists".

    These distinctions are helpful and useful among ourselves but they are divisive and deceptive when used by cultural Christians, agnostics, and politicians. Outsiders use these terms with no real understanding of what they mean to believers. When outsiders use the term "fundamentalist" it doesn't refer to specific points of theology and doctrine, it's just a code word for crazy Christians who want your kids to be ignorant and your wife to be chained to a stove in the kitchen.

    Excellent point. (Never heard of Landmark Baptists. Now there's a bazillion+1 types of Baptists.)

    The work 'evangelical' can also be variously applied.

    By the way, I was 'raised Baptist' so there was no meanness in my jab at the brethren. :D
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Excellent point. (Never heard of Landmark Baptists. Now there's a bazillion+1 types of Baptists.)

    The work 'evangelical' can also be variously applied.

    By the way, I was 'raised Baptist' so there was no meanness in my jab at the brethren. :D
    The term "Evangelical" is just as loosey-goosey in the media as the term "liberal" would be if they ever used it. Thoughtful Evangelicals know that it means not only a firm belief in the salvation of human beings through the sacrifice at Calvary but also a deep commitment to spreading the gospel in daily life. That would not describe the majority of believers in a lot of mega-churches nor the followers of some of the more popular Christian writers yet the media slaps "Evangelical" on any Protestant who is vaguely alarmed by gay three-ways.

    "Liberal" is treated the same way. Almost no one using the term means a classical liberal though process informed by reason and tested by experience, they mean a libertine social view coupled with a vaguely socialistic view of economics and government.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hartford, CT USA
    Posts
    2,024
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    ...
    "Liberal" is treated the same way. Almost no one using the term means a classical liberal though process informed by reason and tested by experience, they mean a libertine social view coupled with a vaguely socialistic view of economics and government.
    Hey, what's wrong with libertine social views. Some of my best friends are libertines who are, at times, very social! :D
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •