1. #1 This is what I do for a living... A fine Living At That 
    The head that you see rotating in the video is what I rebuild. They are a bitch. It all operates off of air and if thereís a tiny leak somewhere in that polish head, you have to disassemble the entire head to find it. I hate building these heads because Iím too meticulous for my own good. If a wafer breaks, you oughta see the absolute destruction that occurs.

The other arm that you see coming over the polish pad is a stainless steel puck with granulated pieces of diamonds to scratch, or condition the polish pad. It is a nasty, dirty process. Back in the old days, this process could be done with a chemical etch dip. When you get up to 4 or 5 metal layers, this type of process becomes necessary.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f1_VKDKq184

What is it polishing?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "Even if Trump didn't pay Russian hookers to pee on one another to defile a bed the Obamas once slept on it sounds like something he would do and that's all that matters." DemocratSinceBirth, Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM

"Enemy. The word you are looking for is enemy. When the ideals of someone are antithetical to yours, you can say the word "enemy". DUmmy ret5hd Fri Aug 24, 2018, 05:10 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Dlr Pyro View Post
    What is it polishing?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Itís a silicon wafer with hundreds or perhaps thousands of individual chips on it. I failed to explain that. That Applied Materials polisher looks like a 300mm wafer, about the size of a vinyl LP record. Our fab is 200mm wafers.

Basically, itís planarizing a layer of copper, tungsten, or oxide down to a level of angstroms. Itís similar to mowing your lawn, only upside down.

Senior Member Angry Old White Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tecate View Post
    Itís a silicon wafer with hundreds or perhaps thousands of individual chips on it. I failed to explain that. That Applied Materials polisher looks like a 300mm wafer, about the size of a vinyl LP record. Our fab is 200mm wafers.

Basically, itís planarizing a layer of copper, tungsten, or oxide down to a level of angstroms. Itís similar to mowing your lawn, only upside down.

We've come a long way during the last 53 years of my life, the Nike Hercules that I crewed in 67 was all analog and mechanical from tip to toe. Not one chip was in the system, the guidance system was made up of mechanical computers all mounted in large suitcases and on a rollout frame stacked one atop the other. It looks like a wristwatch but on a giant scale. Even the HiPar radar system was analog and no more than a giant microwave dish, always covered to keep photos from being taken. Bell Telephone built the system so you can imagine how immaculate every item was and dependable. Interesting thing about the system is that not one item was upgraded without all the bases and systems received the exact same upgrade. You see one you see all is the rule of the day with Nike Hercules because one person could be reassigned to another base and walk right in and start to work without any further training or orientation. It was truly a well thought out system from start to finish. They still use them today in other countries.

This an old video, you can tell from the crappy resolution, but it was filmed in fab 25 back when we were still Advanced Micro Devices. Money was flowing like a river back then. Those days are never coming back.

And one last thing... Never fart while wearing a clean room smock. You shall be the only victim of your own brand.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LpK6zPZMYsg

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Old White Man View Post
    We've come a long way during the last 53 years of my life, the Nike Hercules that I crewed in 67 was all analog and mechanical from tip to toe. Not one chip was in the system, the guidance system was made up of mechanical computers all mounted in large suitcases and on a rollout frame stacked one atop the other. It looks like a wristwatch but on a giant scale. Even the HiPar radar system was analog and no more than a giant microwave dish, always covered to keep photos from being taken. Bell Telephone built the system so you can imagine how immaculate every item was and dependable. Interesting thing about the system is that not one item was upgraded without all the bases and systems received the exact same upgrade. You see one you see all is the rule of the day with Nike Hercules because one person could be reassigned to another base and walk right in and start to work without any further training or orientation. It was truly a well thought out system from start to finish. They still use them today in other countries.

lots of neat stuff in this video that outlines the workings of the Apollo guidance computer which is what took the Apollo missions to the moon. What is beyond my understanding is how they used core rope memory to "write" the code and how it was more reliable than many systems today by how it would focus on the most important tasks while ignoring tasks that would take away valuable resources needed for nigher priority tasks. This is what happened during the Apollo 11 landing when the 1202 and 1201 code flashed up. The computer was being flooded with data from a radar system left on accidentally but knew enough to ignore the useless chatter and focus on getting Armstrong and Aldrin to the moon's surface.

"Even if Trump didn't pay Russian hookers to pee on one another to defile a bed the Obamas once slept on it sounds like something he would do and that's all that matters." DemocratSinceBirth, Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM

"Enemy. The word you are looking for is enemy. When the ideals of someone are antithetical to yours, you can say the word "enemy". DUmmy ret5hd Fri Aug 24, 2018, 05:10 PM