1. #1 "I'll tell you what! We're having an earthquake!" 
    Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    THE SHAKING AND*the apocalyptic noise began at 5:04 p.m. PST. It was 30 years ago today.

ABC was live on the air, just over four minutes into its broadcast.*As the TV feed flickered out, Al Michaels could be heard saying, "I'll tell you what! We're having an earthquake!" Then, amid the chaos and confusion, he deadpanned, "Well, folks, that's the greatest open in the history of television." In the first few moments, some San Franciscans, who had experience with huge earthquakes, nervously made light of the situation. One writer, upon hearing it had registered 6.9 on the Richter scale, jokingly asked, "How did the Russian judge score it?"
    The humor didn't last.

The terrified looks on the faces of my colleagues as they fled the press box at Candlestick Park were unforgettable. The entire episode lasted 17 seconds, but it seemed like 17 minutes. Game 3 of the 1989 World Series was a few minutes from starting when the Loma Prieta earthquake rocked Northern California. It ravaged the Bay Area, killing 63, injuring 3,757 and causing roughly $6 billion in damage. It postponed the World Series for 10 days.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...d-series-world
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

I remember I was flipping channels and was watching the game and saw the quake hit. It was before the internet, so it was still shocking to see that captured live on camera like that. I'm so glad we don't have major quakes in MI.

I think one thing was pretty clear-Candlestick Park was actually a fairly safe place to be during the quake. The area freeways and the Bay Bridge were badly affected.