Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Uber Lays Off 400 U.S. Employees, Foreign Workers 
    Uber Technologies Inc. is laying off 400 American employees at its California offices while seeking to import hundreds of foreign workers through the H-1B visa program.

As detailed by the Mercury News, Uber laid off 88 U.S. employees in August and is laying off about 320 U.S. employees this month at its San Francisco and Palo Alto offices. In total, Uber executives said about 350 U.S. employees had been laid off. The majority of the layoffs are software engineers.

Simultaneously, Uber has sought to import more than 1,000 foreign workers through the H-1B visa to take U.S. jobs in Fiscal Year 2019. This year, alone, Uber asked to import up to 1,129 H-1B foreign workers despite the layoffs.

“When they’re laying off, they shouldn’t be using H-1Bs at all, or maybe sparingly at best,” said Howard University Ron Hira to the Mercury News. “It runs totally contrary to the intent of the H-1B program.”
    https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2019/...reign-workers/
    Unknown philosopher at a St. Patrick's Day celebration 1967

1 beer between 3 guys is better than no beers between no guys

doing the jobs Americans no longer do because they were laid off...?
    "Even if Trump didn't pay Russian hookers to pee on one another to defile a bed the Obamas once slept on it sounds like something he would do and that's all that matters." DemocratSinceBirth, Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM

"Enemy. The word you are looking for is enemy. When the ideals of someone are antithetical to yours, you can say the word "enemy". DUmmy ret5hd Fri Aug 24, 2018, 05:10 PM

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Meanwhile, that nitwit new mayor of Chicago wants to triple the tax on Uber rides. Unless you are going to the neglected south and west sides of town. Haven't had the pleasure of using Uber in Chicago yet, but I sure as hell wouldn't be enjoying that kind of soaking.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Tax, it's the Democratic way!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Uber and Lyft have been very good for downtown Detroit entertainment venues and eating establishments. It's better than the bus, it can get you right where you want to go and you don't have to worry about parking. We shared one last year for our Christmas luncheon, it was very convenient in bad weather.

This vile collaboration between the far left, big business and the establishment beltway crap weasels makes me sick.

The United States Navy, fighting Moslem barbarians since 1801.

Candace Owens for President 2024.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQgbN76AWrw

The day they tell me to train Apu to do my job is the day I put in my two weeks notice.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    Meanwhile, that nitwit new mayor of Chicago wants to triple the tax on Uber rides. Unless you are going to the neglected south and west sides of town. Haven't had the pleasure of using Uber in Chicago yet, but I sure as hell wouldn't be enjoying that kind of soaking.
    I haven't been to Chicago in a while, but they always had a good train system there, which Detroit is lacking.

I wonder if the triple tax idea is to keep cab drivers and their employers in business. If Uber is more expensive than a cab and you need an internet connection/money online to use it, people will revert to calling a taxi.

Technically, if they are laying off people and replacing them with foreign workers they are breaking the law. The law, as I understand it, states that they must attempt to hire an American citizen first and then turn to a foreign resource. To get around the law some businesses employee people who live and work in another country but this wouldn't require a H-1B Visa.

I suspect that something is being omitted from the story.
    Cast your burden on the Lord,
    and he will sustain you;
    he will never permit
    the righteous to be moved.
    Psalm 55:22

Quote Originally Posted by Tecate View Post
    The day they tell me to train Apu to do my job is the day I put in my two weeks notice.
    You'd give them 2 weeks? That's awfully generous of you. Me? I'm out the door 5 minutes after they tell me that, flipping the bird to those behind this decision.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Liberalism is what the stupid think is smart.