1. #1 Poll Shows Majority Expect a Civil War 
    W. I. Thomas was famous for The Thomas theorem, which states that, "If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences."

So given that polls are often wrong or the methodology is so questionable as to make them invalid, the important thing to remember is that the perception of reality is often more important than the reality itself.

Everywhere I look, there are signs this country is coming apart.

If the American people are starting to believe that another civil war is coming, will their perception help make it happen?

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...e-of-civil-war

Partisan political division and the resulting incivility has reached a low in America, with 67% believing that the nation is nearing civil war, according to a new national survey.

“The majority of Americans believe that we are two-thirds of the way to being on the edge of civil war. That to me is a very pessimistic place,” said Mo Elleithee, the executive director of Georgetown University’s Institute of Politics and Public Service.

And worse, he said in announcing the results of the institute’s Battleground Poll, the political division is likely to make the upcoming 2020 presidential race the nastiest in modern history.
    We may find that the 2020 election is the point of no return.

What say you?

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Anything is possible. If Trump wins re-election
    the Kook Left will just explode and they don't
    speak for the vast majority. That won't matter as
    every Left wing media scum will be crying
    the election was somehow stolen.

Election night is going to be something else.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Very unlikely. Not impossible.

Americans in the social media era live for drama about shit they would never actually do, or fears that aren't realistic. Everybody's frickin' Che Guevara or Patrick Henry until the credit card doesn't work and they can't get on-line. For instance look at all the 2016 panic-button slamming from the Right about how Obama was going to cancel the election, and all of it now from the Left about Trump seizing power. There was no real basis for the BS then, nor is there now.

While America is more divided than ever, it isn't along territorial lines, it is mostly mega-urban-plex vs. everyone else, as the well-known county-by-county election map shows. It is very difficult to visualize how the sides could coalesce to create an actual Civil War II.

There are some things that could precipitate a widespread breakdown of social order, like blatantly unconstitutional laws passed in DC that cause State and local law enforcement agencies to simply break with DC or refuse to participate in a widespread and highly visible way, but it would take a cascading series of such breakdowns to shatter the order of central authority. It would take something like a long-term total breakdown of the food distribution system, a very widespread grid-down situation caused by either an adversary or an astrophysical event, or some black swan event like a supervolcano eruption that tanks food production to tip that bucket over the edge.

We've been in a cold civil war for decades. The commies are getting bolder with media fanning the flames and communist mayors encouraging the groups.
    If it comes to a hot fight, there will be no drawn battle lines. There have already been communist attacks on conservatives.
    It would be more of a hit-and -run, ambush, type thing.

A decisive victory in 2020 by DJT will shut-down a huge portion of the left's crap.

Until then, I'm ready for any skirmish which may erupt. Because that's all I think they'll be. Skirmishes. Law-Enforcement is on our side and they know who our enemy is.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac shark View Post
    A decisive victory in 2020 by DJT will shut-down a huge portion of the left's crap.

Until then, I'm ready for any skirmish which may erupt. Because that's all I think they'll be. Skirmishes. Law-Enforcement is on our side and they know who our enemy is.
    Like all the LEOs that refused orders to "Give them room to destroy" during riots? Or the LEO's that made all those arrests of antifa? Or all the LEOs that turned in badges instead of enforcing red flag laws?

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac shark View Post

In early '17 I thought man, these idiots are really losing their shit on an epic level. Surely a 2020 landslide loss will move them back closer to center.

2.5 years later I no longer think that. If the 2020 elections go the way I think they will (status quo in Senate, victory for the President, regain the house) I think they'll just double down on retard. Or really it would be quintupling down on retard by this point.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    Very unlikely. Not impossible.

While America is more divided than ever, it isn't along territorial lines, it is mostly mega-urban-plex vs. everyone else, as the well-known county-by-county election map shows. It is very difficult to visualize how the sides could coalesce to create an actual Civil War II.
    That's been my thought for a while. In many ways, the US is ideologically as divided now as we were before the Civil War, if not more, but now we don't have that pretty solid geographical split. The closest I see is flyover country against the coasts.
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!

Quote Originally Posted by enslaved1 View Post
    That's been my thought for a while. In many ways, the US is ideologically as divided now as we were before the Civil War, if not more, but now we don't have that pretty solid geographical split. The closest I see is flyover country against the coasts.
    The US is undoubtedly dividing into what are effectively two nations, with little in common. There is no doubt that demographics is on the side of the Left: there is a very good chance that Trump will lose in 2020 as it is, and even if he wins, he will probably be the last Republican President. The Left's effective 'Open Borders' policy, plus their domination of the 'cultural apparatus', starting with the elite universities, make this inevitable. We mustn't kid ourselves.

The problem is, people are inherently optimistic, especially Americans. You read about a volcano in South America which wipes out the villages built on its side, and you read that it erupted fifty years ago and did the same thing ... but that people moved back and rebuilt. The Jews remained in Germany after Hitler won office. The whites of Zimbabwe stayed on. The whites of South Africa have remained. Surely, surely, they tell themselves ... everything will turn out all right.

People have jobs and homes ... they don't want to do anything drastic. When their children and grandchildren come home from school talking about how nice it might be to become transgender, and anyway there are many sexes, or how wicked whites are because of their white privilege, or how it's racist to believe there is only one answer to 3x4 ... they'll complain, but they won't do anything about it.

I see only one way out, which is a peaceful separation of the Red States from the Blue, effectively, and a re-founding of the American republic on its original principles. This seems so radical, and so crazy, that I hesitate to raise it as a possibility. But then so did the original American Revolution.

But whatever happens, American conservatives -- indeed, all sane people in America -- could do worse than join, or found, a local militia unit, ideally one which is not narrowly focussed on the military aspect of things, but functions as a general civilian auxiliary to the emergency services in general, and eschews the scary 'right-wing gun-nut' image that the mainstream media try to paint this movement as.