Hybrid View

1. #1 Turning Racism into International Law 
    http://www.iwf.org/news/show/21016.html
    by Michelle D. Bernard
    December 28, 2008

The Examiner

One thing the United Nations well is hold conferences. Another is generate paper. The result usually is just a waste of time and money.

But with the Durban Review Conference planned for 2009, the UN will be more than wasteful, it will promote anti-Semitism and anti-Americanism. The U.S. should boycott the proceedings.

The United Nations long has targeted Israel. There are legitimate criticisms of Israel, but human rights abuses there pale compared to violations elsewhere in the world.

Consider China's pre-Olympics crackdown. Recall the military junta that misgoverns Burma and brutally suppressed pro-democracy demonstrations a year ago.

Observe the horror of Zimbabwe, where a vicious and incompetent government has wrecked the economy and cannot stop a spreading cholera epidemic. Worst of all may be North Korea, a national gulag in which starvation is the norm.

Of these cases, the UN thinks Israel is the most serious. In fact, more serious than all of the others combined, at least in terms of the number of resolutions passed.

For years the so-called Human Rights Commission made a mockery of its name. Two years ago the Commission was turned into the Human Rights Council. The latter is no different, dominated by leading human rights abusers who divert attention from themselves by attacking Israel.

Most famously, the United Nations passed a resolution years ago equating Zionism with racism. Although the UN General Assembly eventually repealed the measure, the organization has promoted the same idea in other ways.

One was the 2001 Durban conference, formally known as the United Nations World Conference Against Racism, Racial Discrimination, Xenophobia and Related Intolerance.

Naturally, Israel was targeted. Reparations for slavery were demanded-though from the West, not Arab states. The U.S. was even attacked for refusing to adopt UN treaties, no matter how extreme, without reservations to protect Americans.
    When I read about shit like this I seriously want to see the UN destroyed. How much are we expected to pay to support these assholes? I say we use that money to pay down the debt for a while.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Patent Member
    Considering that the president of the Human Rights Council is a Nigerian representative, I'm pretty confident that it's position on human rights in civilized countries can be discounted.

I really think it's time for the civilized world to pull out of the UN and form a new body where membership is not automatic - but one where membership requires the country to meet certain conditions and gurantee certain freedoms. If they fail so to do - they get kicked to the curb and all benefits of membership are lost.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.