Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 The Real Facts About Homelessness And "mental Illness" 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    And I had to include bobbolink today...

It's from December but she is one of my DU favorites!

bobbolink (1000+ posts) Sat Dec-06-08 04:09 PM

Original message****THE REAL FACTS ABOUT HOMELESSNESS AND "MENTAL ILLNESS"

Since people, including DUers and other "progressives" keep inflating "mental illness" with homelessness, it's time for some serious fact-reviewing:

According to a study by the US Conference of Mayors in 2005, approximately 16% of the homeless population suffers from a mental illness.

SIXTEEN PERCENT does NOT a MAJORITY make.

As a matter of fact, it's about the same rate as in the general population.... or actually a bit less. I think I read the rate nationally is something like 22%

So, can we pleez retire this meme?
    In other words, stop calling me mental!!!!:mad::D
    Has someone stolen her car yet???

I don't know why, but I have always suspected that bobbolink is a mole.:D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Although many homeless people are normal, many are mentally ill, or they won't stay homeless for too long.

By the way, this study is only valid if they interviewed all of the homeless people in the USA. Which I doubt they did.

If a homeless person would just pick a newspaper out of the trash, they will find jobs in the help wanted sections that they are qualified for. Not great jobs, but jobs nonetheless. From the money that they saved up, they can pay rent in an apartment, so they won't have to stay in a shelter for too long. The reason why many of them wont do this is either extreme laziness or mental illness (maybe they are the same thing).

On the previous website, we had a member, named "Speed Addiction" who claimed to have escaped homelessness in a similar manner, and is now doing quite well for himself. Haven't seen him around recently, but then again, I haven't been around recently.
    Licenced New York State EMT-B

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mark1 View Post
    On the previous website, we had a member, named "Speed Addiction" who claimed to have escaped homelessness in a similar manner, and is now doing quite well for himself. Haven't seen him around recently, but then again, I haven't been around recently.
    He's here as Speedy mark1.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Mark is right-I'll bet if they separated the chronically homeless from the temporarily homeless, there'd be a different result.

Some people only go to a shelter once, some people are in and out of them all the time. Addiction, mental illness, and low intellectual functioning probably prevail in statistics regarding the chronically homeless.

I would like to make some remarks that yall have overlooked. I worked occasionally in a homeless shelter during high school and had some interesting conversations with some of the people I met and learned a few vague generalities:

-Most jobs require an address (not PO box), but in order to have a house/apartment, one needs a job. I don't know why companies need an address, but they do and that one trivial fact is a vicious little thing.

-You can say that there are many jobs out there, but (and I'm guessing on this one) most homeless dropped out of high school. How many jobs are there if you don't have a HS diploma? As the service industry takes over and manufacturing declines, homeless just do not have the skills or education needed to land a job.

-The largest city in my county has a large homeless population and I can say that any given time I went to the main library, a third to half of the people in there are homeless people. In fact, I never felt comfortable to sit in the magazine/newspaper section because it was always filled with homeless. I can assure you that (at least where I live) most homeless do read the paper...and even use the internet.

-There are some homeless(actually more than you'd think) who do have jobs, but 99% of those are paid minimum wage. The reason they don't have a house is almost always child support automatically deducted or they do not have credit (apartment renters require good credit). I'd go out on a limb and say that (again in my area) nearly a quarter of the homeless population do have a job.

-Many have an addiction, and I am not trying to just go with the flow here. There are indeed many who drink or do drugs. Still others have a

-Even if they do have one, do a little math here: minimum wage is $6.15(?) times 50 hours a week (although most work less because there business is open only x-hours a week) times 52 weeks is: $15,990. Subtract from that child support (let's say $500/month...an average between 1-2 kids): $9,990. That might sound like a lot, but subtract taxes ($1997.25 federal 2008 from these numbers) and you're left with roughly $8000 for rent, utilities, bus fare, etc. If you even can get a house, that's not much for anything.

I am a big fan of journeyman pictures on YouTube. In October, they posted a video about people who lost their houses to foreclosure that live in their cars (not the typical city homeless). It's 13min. long and I don't feel sorry for the first woman (foreclosed from a $1.2mil house who worked as a notary!?), but it's not bad.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0y-SWdbGRk

teh great thing about using the term "homeless" in these situations is that to qualify you only do not need to own or rent a home yourself to qualify. It does not require that you be living on the street or in a shelter. SO - if you live in mommy and daddy's basement - you qualify as homeless - when it's convenient for you to be counted (IE when they want to blame the republicans or capitalism for something). PC terms are so convenient for masking things. :rolletyes:

Of those homeless who are actually bums - the bulk are either mentally ill or addicted or hiding from something.

On a side note - there was a news story here in PGH a couple of years ago that showed that the bulk of panhandlers had homes and on average made $100 a day begging. great work if you can get it - and you can get it if you try . . . .
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    teh great thing about using the term "homeless" in these situations is that to qualify you only do not need to own or rent a home yourself to qualify. It does not require that you be living on the street or in a shelter. SO - if you live in mommy and daddy's basement - you qualify as homeless - when it's convenient for you to be counted (IE when they want to blame the republicans or capitalism for something). PC terms are so convenient for masking things. :rolletyes:

Of those homeless who are actually bums - the bulk are either mentally ill or addicted or hiding from something.

On a side note - there was a news story here in PGH a couple of years ago that showed that the bulk of panhandlers had homes and on average made $100 a day begging. great work if you can get it - and you can get it if you try . . . .
    Of course beggars are not equivalent to homeless. My mother explained that she doesn't give any one of them stuff because in the 80s she saw a woman & children on the corner on a cold day, gave them 2 blankets out of her trunk, and drove by 10 minutes later only to see the blankets out of sight and the children freezing again. I think the last time I gave any of them something was when I was at a red light and the man was staring like 5ft from my car, I had a 32pk of water in the passenger seat (on the floor), so I gave him one (not wanting to feel awkward flipping through my iPod Touch while he was watching). I've never given anyone $, I've heard many figures about what they make and figure that it will likely go to booze anyways.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    And I had to include bobbolink today...

It's from December but she is one of my DU favorites!

In other words, stop calling me mental!!!!:mad::D
    Has someone stolen her car yet???

I don't know why, but I have always suspected that bobbolink is a mole.:D
    It's the name, like Chickadee ,Too cute by far !

Quote Originally Posted by AHeneen View Post
    I would like to make some remarks that yall have overlooked. I worked occasionally in a homeless shelter during high school and had some interesting conversations with some of the people I met and learned a few vague generalities:

-Most jobs require an address (not PO box), but in order to have a house/apartment, one needs a job. I don't know why companies need an address, but they do and that one trivial fact is a vicious little thing.

-You can say that there are many jobs out there, but (and I'm guessing on this one) most homeless dropped out of high school. How many jobs are there if you don't have a HS diploma? As the service industry takes over and manufacturing declines, homeless just do not have the skills or education needed to land a job.

-The largest city in my county has a large homeless population and I can say that any given time I went to the main library, a third to half of the people in there are homeless people. In fact, I never felt comfortable to sit in the magazine/newspaper section because it was always filled with homeless. I can assure you that (at least where I live) most homeless do read the paper...and even use the internet.

-There are some homeless(actually more than you'd think) who do have jobs, but 99% of those are paid minimum wage. The reason they don't have a house is almost always child support automatically deducted or they do not have credit (apartment renters require good credit). I'd go out on a limb and say that (again in my area) nearly a quarter of the homeless population do have a job.

-Many have an addiction, and I am not trying to just go with the flow here. There are indeed many who drink or do drugs. Still others have a

-Even if they do have one, do a little math here: minimum wage is $6.15(?) times 50 hours a week (although most work less because there business is open only x-hours a week) times 52 weeks is: $15,990. Subtract from that child support (let's say $500/month...an average between 1-2 kids): $9,990. That might sound like a lot, but subtract taxes ($1997.25 federal 2008 from these numbers) and you're left with roughly $8000 for rent, utilities, bus fare, etc. If you even can get a house, that's not much for anything.

I am a big fan of journeyman pictures on YouTube. In October, they posted a video about people who lost their houses to foreclosure that live in their cars (not the typical city homeless). It's 13min. long and I don't feel sorry for the first woman (foreclosed from a $1.2mil house who worked as a notary!?), but it's not bad.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0y-SWdbGRk

All that is true, but there are underlying reasons why the same people keep finding themselves in those situations. Mental illness and low or borderline intellectual functioning contribute to that. If the most complicated job you are capable of performing is flipping burgers or cleaning bathrooms, you are the frequently the first to lose your job.

Quote Originally Posted by AHeneen View Post
    You just use the address of where you are staying at the time. If you are living here and there, just find a physical address that allows you to pick up your mail there. (Like a church, friend's, relative, outreach organization, etc) There is always a way.

The address is often needed for background checks.

I have had to take some very crappy entry level jobs, with very low pay, after finding myself unemployed. I don't buy ANY of the excuses for not looking for work, or having a job. There is always a way, if you actually want to work. It's not easy and can almost be embarassing. I have had jobs that caused so much phsyical strain, I could hardly get out of the car after work and my legs would lock up (due to a previous back injury) but I stuck it out and the pain slowly went away...and every day became a little easier. I was just there in 2005-2006 and then again last year, going back to work after a serious neck, back & shoulder injury, when the doctors thought I should not be working. (I am lucky, it could of been so much worse) The first couple months hurt like hell....but it also hurt to sit at home, bored out of my mind, getting stiff from sitting around.

Oh no....someone might actually have to pay child support if they start working? That is a good thing.
    Last edited by RobJohnson; 01-14-2009 at 08:33 AM.