1. #1 A thrill of a lifetime. 
    1961: U.S. Air Force Maj. Robert M. White became the first pilot to fly an X-15 rocket plane at six times the speed of sound.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault

I remember the clips and the diagrams on the evening-news, a day or two later... of all the early X-15 tests. Silver-suits...

My friends and I were still into sabre-jets.

Neil Armstrong almost had an unplanned landing in Pasadena during one of his X-15 flights due to some difficulties coming back down from 207,000 feet. Fortunately he was able to clear the San Gabriel mountains and limp back to Edwards AFB for a safe landing .

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "Even if Trump didn't pay Russian hookers to pee on one another to defile a bed the Obamas once slept on it sounds like something he would do and that's all that matters." DemocratSinceBirth, Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM

"Enemy. The word you are looking for is enemy. When the ideals of someone are antithetical to yours, you can say the word "enemy". DUmmy ret5hd Fri Aug 24, 2018, 05:10 PM

I went from the P-51 to the F-80 to the F-86 to the F-100 and as a AFROTC cadet wanted to sit in the second seat in a B-58 Hustler. Couldnít pass the physical due to near-sightedness.

My youngest daughter wanted to push the stick in a F-18. Iíve got a pic of her sitting in the cockpit of one in the air museum at SeaTac.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    I went from the P-51 to the F-80 to the F-86 to the F-100 and as a AFROTC cadet wanted to sit in the second seat in a B-58 Hustler. Couldnít pass the physical due to near-sightedness.

My youngest daughter wanted to push the stick in a F-18. Iíve got a pic of her sitting in the cockpit of one in the air museum at SeaTac.
    The Hustler was a bad ass supersonic bomber but a bitch to fly due to the constantly changing center of gravity due to fuel burn.

Also had a unique mount for the centerline nuclear weapon. The bomb was mounted to the aircraft then a huge fuel tank that was form fitted around the nuke was mounted, obscuring the bomb. The fuel tank had to be jettisoned before the bomb could be released over the target.

"Even if Trump didn't pay Russian hookers to pee on one another to defile a bed the Obamas once slept on it sounds like something he would do and that's all that matters." DemocratSinceBirth, Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM

"Enemy. The word you are looking for is enemy. When the ideals of someone are antithetical to yours, you can say the word "enemy". DUmmy ret5hd Fri Aug 24, 2018, 05:10 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Dlr Pyro View Post
    The Hustler was a bad ass supersonic bomber but a bitch to fly due to the constantly changing center of gravity due to fuel burn.

Also had a unique mount for the centerline nuclear weapon. The bomb was mounted to the aircraft then a huge fuel tank that was form fitted around the nuke was mounted, obscuring the bomb. The fuel tank had to be jettisoned before the bomb could be released over the target.

Additionally, the PR said, it could pull up beside a flying missile, read the S/N and then pull away.

I once saw a photo claiming a Hustler could carry more destructive power in a single flight than was used in WWII.

The Hustler was amazing. They did seem to have a tendency to lose the pod, I remember as a kid in Indiana the ones flying out of Bunker Hill (Now Grissom) would crop up on the Indianapolis broadcast news for it. My Dad, then a USAF fireman, responded to one that flew into terrain in southern Indiana. The three-man crew, or what was left of them, were still in their seats, so nobody had punched out.

And now.....

I used to live in Tucson, my Dad worked at D-M. Took a lot of drives through the aluminum farm, a lot of interesting planes there (Mid-60s): the ones in best condition were shiny B47s and KC97s, there were also all sorts of other stuff including a few KB50s (B29s with outrigger jet pods converted to tankers), T33s, F94s, T33s, F89s, even some old Navy HUPs being broken up for melting in a contractor's work area.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    I used to live in Tucson, my Dad worked at D-M. Took a lot of drives through the aluminum farm, a lot of interesting planes there (Mid-60s): the ones in best condition were shiny B47s and KC97s, there were also all sorts of other stuff including a few KB50s (B29s with outrigger jet pods converted to tankers), T33s, F94s, T33s, F89s, even some old Navy HUPs being broken up for melting in a contractor's work area.
    I envy you, I always wanted to just to be up close with a Hustler