Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Disney says Dumbo isn't woke ! 
    Disney is putting a “trigger warning” ahead of some of its older films on its Disney Plus streaming service so viewers can be aware of any potential “outdated” and “offensive” content before they click.

The warning, which has been placed on classic Disney childhood favorites like “Pinnochio,” “Lady and the Tramp,” "The Aristocats," and "The Jungle Book," explains that “This program is presented as originally created. It may contain outdated cultural depictions."

For all you confused Disney lovers out there scratching your heads over what could possibly be offensive about a cartoon bear singing about forgetting your worries and your strife while floating on his back down a river, “The Jungle Book” has come under fire for its famous orangutan “King Louie,” who some have said is a stereotypical and offensive depiction of blacks.
    The would probaly like to make Lady and The Tramp into a LDGTXQMOUSE story !

https://www.mrctv.org/blog/disneys-s...dated-cultural
    Unknown philosopher at a St. Patrick's Day celebration 1967

1 beer between 3 guys is better than no beers between no guys

You really need to be sick to be offended by a disney cartoon!
    I love the sound of liberal heads exploding in the morning!!

Toxically masculine and proud of it!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens.

Disney destroys kids. Find a single disney child actor that is not severely harmed by working for disney, just a single one.

Disney chews up and swallows these kids. For entertainment, like some pagan god.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    This scene was why they put the label on Dumbo.

FYI, the crow featured in the scene is named "Jim Crow".

I'm surprised that they didn't put such a disclaimer before 'Peter Pan' for its portrayal of the Indians (i.e. a character refers to them at one point as "Cunning, but not intelligent").

On the plus side, them doing this could open up the possibility that they might FINALLY release 'Song of the South' on home format by including a similar warning before it.
    I've actually heard from people who've seen bootlegs of that movie that it isn't even really racially- offensive, that its biggest cinematic sin is how boring its live- action segments can be.

"For all you confused Disney lovers out there scratching your heads over what could possibly be offensive about a cartoon bear singing about forgetting your worries and your strife while floating on his back down a river, “The Jungle Book” has come under fire for its famous orangutan “King Louie,” who some have said is a stereotypical and offensive depiction of blacks."

Ok, now THAT is a complete and total crock!
    King Louie's appearance and personality were directly based on his voice actor, Louis Prima, who was Italian- American.

I'm surprised that they didn't put such a disclaimer before 'Peter Pan' for its portrayal of the Indians (i.e. a character refers to them at one point as "Cunning, but not intelligent").
    They did. And about a half dozen others including Snow White and Jungle Book.

In Peter Pan, from 1953, Native American characters are caricatured. Other Disney movies with the disclaimer include The Jungle Book and Swiss Family Robinson.
    https://time.com/5730892/disney-plus...racist-movies/
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault

Quote Originally Posted by movie buff View Post

On the plus side, them doing this could open up the possibility that they might FINALLY release 'Song of the South' on home format by including a similar warning before it.
    I've actually heard from people who've seen bootlegs of that movie that it isn't even really racially- offensive, that its biggest cinematic sin is how boring its live- action segments can be.
    I don't see Disney doing this any time soon. It's been criticized as glorifying the old south plantation life too much. Disney has had that movie under lock and key for years and acts like they never made it.

But if you do wish to see it. Enjoy.

https://www.thewatchcartoononline.tv/song-of-the-south

Quote Originally Posted by movie buff View Post

"For all you confused Disney lovers out there scratching your heads over what could possibly be offensive about a cartoon bear singing about forgetting your worries and your strife while floating on his back down a river, “The Jungle Book” has come under fire for its famous orangutan “King Louie,” who some have said is a stereotypical and offensive depiction of blacks."

Ok, now THAT is a complete and total crock!
    King Louie's appearance and personality were directly based on his voice actor, Louis Prima, who was Italian- American.
    I looked it up, Disney has no plans to release Song Of The South, which I saw in a theatrical re-release in the 70s, when I was a kid. My school even made it the theme of their spring concert that year. LOL.

I actually do understand why black Americans are offended by it, though. It's one of those things like Gone With The Wind, where you have to balance the outstanding performance by black actors like Hattie McDaniel (who is also in SOTS) or the guy who played Uncle Remus against the stereotypes of the 30s and 40s, when these movies were made. Personally, I thought Uncle Remus was like Aesop, in that he told fables as lessons to children. And Zippetity Do-Dah is a great song.

Here's my 2 cents on this whole Disney disclaimers.

At least their not altering the originals when they are making them available on Disney+. A 5 second disclaimer about content in the video that is no longer socially acceptable or the social norm is a minor detail, compared to what they could have done and gone in and hacked and slashed the offensive parts from the films.

Another way to look at it. Look at how WB handled their content. Try and watch an unaltered looney toons cartoon from 40+ years ago. Good luck in finding them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Here's my 2 cents on this whole Disney disclaimers.

At least their not altering the originals when they are making them available on Disney+. A 5 second disclaimer about content in the video that is no longer socially acceptable or the social norm is a minor detail, compared to what they could have done and gone in and hacked and slashed the offensive parts from the films.

Another way to look at it. Look at how WB handled their content. Try and watch an unaltered looney toons cartoon from 40+ years ago. Good luck in finding them.
    Aren't there a couple of WB Collections that have a warning on them about presenting some out of date stereo types, or am I thinking of another studio?

I absolutely agree, a warning and releasing such terrible atrocities is much better than burying them (Free Br'er Rabbit already) or editing them to match whatever the proper status of the day is. Changing entertainment is no less Orwellian than changing history.
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!