Thread: Are we the mirror of DU?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 Are we the mirror of DU? 
    CNN, You Must Be Doing Something Right

While conservatives hate MSNBC and liberals hate Fox News, both agree on one thing -- CNN is biased against them!

This is a story of two internet message boards, each a mirror image of the other, and their attitudes toward CNN in specific, and the media in general. Conservative Underground (CU) is, as its name implies, a conservative board on which members extol the virtues of God (of the Christian variety, of course -- no Muzzies, as they say, allowed), Guns, and unregulated free markets; Democratic Underground (DU) is a liberal board on which members swear by government handouts, social engineering through financial incentives and penalties, and state-controlled economies.

Full Disclosure: I've been banned from both boards (twice!). In the case of DU the last banning resulted from me suggesting that communism wasn't especially beneficial to Eastern Europe and, in the case of CU, it was for espousing the view that Sarah Palin wasn't particularly the sharpest knife in the drawer, particularly regarding international affairs.

Both boards are eerily similar in their attitudes and methods with only their respective agendas differing from extreme right to extreme left. Both believe in the right of government to interfere in people's lives -- CU in the enforcement of Christian morals and DU in the enforcement of social equality. Posters expressing opposing views are normally insulted via ad hominem attacks, in clear violation of the rules of the board, a fact ignored by sympathetic moderators and administrators (see Addendum). Indeed, an odd symmetry exists between the two, even in terms of their relationship to one another. CU has an entire forum, one of its most popular, dedicated to mocking posts and posters at DU; DU has a board-wide rule that CU is not to be discussed, or even have its name mentioned by any poster.
    While both are suspicious of the media in general -- either the "evil liberal media" or the "corporate-sponsored media" depending upon the board -- both do have their media idols. CU worships at the alter of Fox News, its dieties manifesting themselves as Shaun Hannity and Bill O'Reilly, while MSNBC, with its resident gods of Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow, provides spiritual guidance to those at DU; similarly, on talk radio, it's Rush Limbaugh vs Randi Rhodes; among print opinion columnists, it's Ann Coulter vs Paul Krugman; and so on, ad nauseam.
    Link

I disagree, of course. Take for example, the claim that we worship at the altar of Fox News. I watch it for about 1/2 hour per day. Mostly for some entertainment in the morning. I haven't watched O'Reilly on a regular basis in almost 2 years. Am I the exception on here, or the rule?

I have often thought the extremes on both sides were mirror images of each other. Interesting read.

Talk about sour grapes! While I agree that we generally have the opposite view on many issues, the rabid hatred of DU is completely missing here, as is the kind of "thought" pattern exposed in their spirituality forum.

Beyond that, if I were actually to "worship" any news source, it would probably be Drudge...though Fox is OK...and strangely enough, the actual news on NPR is fairly balanced. (Not the opinions, however...they occasionally resemble the DUmp.)
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    Talk about sour grapes! While I agree that we generally have the opposite view on many issues, the rabid hatred of DU is completely missing here, as is the kind of "thought" pattern exposed in their spirituality forum.

Beyond that, if I were actually to "worship" any news source, it would probably be Drudge...though Fox is OK...and strangely enough, the actual news on NPR is fairly balanced. (Not the opinions, however...they occasionally resemble the DUmp.)
    Drudge is probably the only news source that I consistently try to look at. It used to be daily, but now not so much, only because most of what would interest me is usually posted here or at another political website that I frequent.

I don't listen to NPR, but have been meaning to, as I've heard others comment that the news portions are fairly balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
    I have often thought the extremes on both sides were mirror images of each other. Interesting read.
    On some issues I think you're right.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
    okay . . . so um . . . where are the rioting violent radical Molotov cocktail throwing conservatives at?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Link

I disagree, of course. Take for example, the claim that we worship at the altar of Fox News. I watch it for about 1/2 hour per day. Mostly for some entertainment in the morning. I haven't watched O'Reilly on a regular basis in almost 2 years. Am I the exception on here, or the rule?
    It's about the same with me .I watch little news or any talkshows on the tube.I do enjoy some Sci Fi or sit with my wife and watch her viewing once in a while but never CNN,MSNBC or the rest of the national brainwashing news TV.

I do watch some Fox in passing from one to another ,some Gretta,and once in a great while Fox and Friends . I have given up on reading the newspapers the only reason we still have one is for local events .Much of what little T.V. I enjoy is the cooking channel or a show about a cooking school .All of the real facts are available here on the net and can be sifted and sorted until I have a fair approximation of what really happened without all of the spin !

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Link

That has to be our old friend C.W !

Read his bio and see if it fits according to what he has exposed of himself on CU ?
    Last edited by megimoo; 01-11-2009 at 01:51 PM.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Dowson has a fascinating blog.

I watch the Sunday morning program with Britt Hume. That's about it for Fox for me.

I also watch The George Poppadropalus Show to get to see George Will. Most of my news and opinion I get from reading publications on the Internet. I read a mix of liberal and conservative websites. I also get regular email info from liberal and conservative sites. I like to read a variety of sources.

I'm not a social conservative. I am a philosophical conservative and a fiscal conservative.

I don't believe philosophical/fiscal conservatives can win elections without the social conservatives. Also:

I don't believe social conservatives can win elections without the philosophical/fiscal conservatives.

CU does, and should, represent conservative positions.

DU does, and should, represent liberal, or they might say, progressive positions.

The difference is, as I see it, that DU does not allow free discourse and does not tolerate much in the way of diversity of opinion. DU is sort of like a communist re-education camp in that respect.

I think that CU does allow, even encourages, diversity of opinion. I remember Eyelids, Arcade Fire, and others who represented very different points-of-view. Also, there are posters here who aren't supporters of the Religious Right. The way that I look at it is that social and fiscal-conservatives need to work together to win elections.

CU'ers are, generally, a very combative lot and it is more of a free-for-all atmosphere. And then there is Thunderdome.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

The biggest difference will always be a different point of view is not tolerated there. You are automatically banned if you are a Republican or a conservative.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ