Thread: Are we the mirror of DU?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    The thunderdome isn't as it was .When the fire ran free and the verbage tended to the obscene with some.It has lost much of it's fire and fierceness .

They,some of the more dedicated mods, would stage false fights in the dome just to keep their 'hands' in !

There was a time when a summons to the 'dome' was a sentence to a major ass kicking but no more.Some of the past dome sessions went on for several weeks as the infamous Terr/Gator bout concerning Terr's past membership in the IDF and his support of Israel.That one ending in a draw but with a 'temporary' banning of Terr but he never to return.
    Those Epic Dome threads were before my time. Sounds pretty interesting.

The last Dome thread I started was about something that happened in the Jukebox. As such, it had more than a dab of humor in it but nothing came of it. I took some ribbing about it. :D
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Those Epic Dome threads were before my time. Sounds pretty interesting.

The last Dome thread I started was about something that happened in the Jukebox. As such, it had more than a dab of humor in it but nothing came of it. I took some ribbing about it. :D
    Some here remember some real crash and burn thunderDome sessions.As I remember some members have a natural 'layback' talent for it.The making for a 'good' thunderdome session IMHO are some passion ,some hatred over a past perceived slight is a good start .

Some raw female screaming type emotion with or without a modicum of cuss words is also part of a good mix.Now for longevity I would recommend one of the party's have a standoff kind of sense of humor and sort of lead the emotional one along into full breakdown mode for maximum third party enjoyment .

A critter like eyelid or whatever his face wasn't much fun in the dome by reason of stupidity and he was was more interested in destroying what ever conservative cohesion there was in a thread.He saw himself as dithering force to keep the thread/conservations in total disarray and off point .

CW was much the same but much more intelligent than eyelash but then again that's easy to do .

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Some here remember some real crash and burn thunderDome sessions.As I remember some members have a natural 'layback' talent for it.The making for a 'good' thunderdome session IMHO are some passion ,some hatred over a past perceived slight is a good start .

Some raw female screaming type emotion with or without a modicum of cuss words is also part of a good mix.Now for longevity I would recommend one of the party's have a standoff kind of sense of humor and sort of lead the emotional one along into full breakdown mode for maximum third party enjoyment .

A critter like eyelid or whatever his face wasn't much fun in the dome by reason of stupidity and he was was more interested in destroying what ever conservative cohesion there was in a thread.He saw himself as dithering force to keep the thread/conservations in total disarray and off point .

CW was much the same but much more intelligent than eyelash but then again that's easy to do .
    Punk kid was good for that. For those that are unsure, he did not play the role of female emotionality.

NeunElfer SuperMod hampshirebrit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Link

I disagree, of course. Take for example, the claim that we worship at the altar of Fox News. I watch it for about 1/2 hour per day. Mostly for some entertainment in the morning. I haven't watched O'Reilly on a regular basis in almost 2 years. Am I the exception on here, or the rule?
    I disagree, too. There is a fringe group of members on CU which does its share of worshipping at the Fox News altar, but this is not representative of the membership as a whole.

CU maintains a far better standard of moderation than does DU, thus enabling good debate, at times. The Baal thread, which became a discussion on abortion, is a good recent example of that.

The author of the quote referenced in the OP (it is CW) is incorrect in his assessment of the reason why he was banned, which was not for derogatory comments made about Sarah Palin.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Hey CW, Fuck you. :D:p
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Link

I disagree, of course. Take for example, the claim that we worship at the altar of Fox News. I watch it for about 1/2 hour per day. Mostly for some entertainment in the morning. I haven't watched O'Reilly on a regular basis in almost 2 years. Am I the exception on here, or the rule?
    I'm with you. I rarely watch O'Reilly or anything else on Fox. In the morning, I prefer to watch Morning Joe on MSNBC. Fox's morning lineup is abysmal.
    Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school.

--Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Hey CW, Fuck you. :D:p
    Believe me, as SR used to say about Gator, "he's a peach". Believe me, SR is a peach. :D He's just giving a little "Jersey talk".

The author of the quote referenced in the OP (it is CW) is incorrect in his assessment of the reason why he was banned, which was not for derogatory comments made about Sarah Palin
    Hamp is right, but don't know why this all has to be dragged up again. As far as our not all worshipping at the altar of Fox News or Newsmax, they're right. But no need to drag it all back up about CW or wear those little black armbands.

And 24 is on Fox in less than 2 hours. Need to get dinner on now so SR won't miss one minute of 24. See ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    I'm with you. I rarely watch O'Reilly or anything else on Fox. In the morning, I prefer to watch Morning Joe on MSNBC. Fox's morning lineup is abysmal.
    I've got to remember to switch over to Morning Joe. He is good. But I do enjoy Fox and Friends...not necessarily for the hard news value, just for some entertainment. Except for the daffy blonde. She's freaking annoying. Shepherd Smith isn't bad for a 7:00 p.m. wrap up. Greta lost me once the girl in Aruba went missing.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Believe me, as SR used to say about Gator, "he's a peach". Believe me, SR is a peach. :D He's just giving a little "Jersey talk".

Hamp is right, but don't know why this all has to be dragged up again. As far as our not all worshipping at the altar of Fox News or Newsmax, they're right. But no need to drag it all back up about CW or wear those little black armbands.

And 24 is on Fox in less than 2 hours. Need to get dinner on now so SR won't miss one minute of 24. See ya.
    I need to find a wife like you! ;)

From what I've heard about Freak Republic, it's a lot more like DU than CU is. As to the claim that Muslims aren't allowed to post here, I don't know what the writer is talking about. That is neither a written or a de facto rule. I think lately, the ban hammer is being dropped a little too capriciously, a la DU, but CU overall has done nothing but improve in the last 3 years.

I think the creation of the 'other board' was the best thing to ever happen to CU, because by and large, it seemed to draw away the worst 1% of CU posters. We lost a few great members, but for the most part, it encompassed the following demographics: those who average a thousand posts a month and thought they were brilliant, those who questioned the patriotism of those of us who don't tow the party line, and those who had nothing to contribute besides "what's his DU name", sometimes as much as twice per thread.

The Thunderdome has been toned down a lot, which is actually a big surprise to me. I figured we would be having no end of Obama supporters dropping by to wag their new graven image in front of our noses. I guess that will pick up again later, but we've had enough awesome Thunderdome threads and trolls in the past. Kekkonen, Frankly Speaking, the RP supporters, Davocrat, Eyelids, the list is endless.

Back to the CU = DU premise - I don't buy it. I think we're pretty nice (comparatively) to 'the other side' here, and for the most part, you have to work to get banned here. And let's all not forget the biggest difference between CU and DU: "Democratic" is a political party, "conservative" is a way of life. Our spectrum of ideas here is ten times what DU's is.
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.