Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    I think the creation of the 'other board' was the best thing to ever happen to CU, because by and large, it seemed to draw away the worst 1% of CU posters. We lost a few great members, but for the most part, it encompassed the following demographics: those who average a thousand posts a month and thought they were brilliant, those who questioned the patriotism of those of us who don't tow the party line, and those who had nothing to contribute besides "what's his DU name", sometimes as much as twice per thread.

Soooo.... what's your DU name? :D ;)

From what I've heard about Freak Republic, it's a lot more like DU than CU is. As to the claim that Muslims aren't allowed to post here, I don't know what the writer is talking about. That is neither a written or a de facto rule. I think lately, the ban hammer is being dropped a little too capriciously, a la DU, but CU overall has done nothing but improve in the last 3 years.

I think the creation of the 'other board' was the best thing to ever happen to CU, because by and large, it seemed to draw away the worst 1% of CU posters. We lost a few great members, but for the most part, it encompassed the following demographics: those who average a thousand posts a month and thought they were brilliant, those who questioned the patriotism of those of us who don't tow the party line, and those who had nothing to contribute besides "what's his DU name", sometimes as much as twice per thread.

The Thunderdome has been toned down a lot, which is actually a big surprise to me. I figured we would be having no end of Obama supporters dropping by to wag their new graven image in front of our noses. I guess that will pick up again later, but we've had enough awesome Thunderdome threads and trolls in the past. Kekkonen, Frankly Speaking, the RP supporters, Davocrat, Eyelids, the list is endless.

Back to the CU = DU premise - I don't buy it. I think we're pretty nice (comparatively) to 'the other side' here, and for the most part, you have to work to get banned here. And let's all not forget the biggest difference between CU and DU: "Democratic" is a political party, "conservative" is a way of life. Our spectrum of ideas here is ten times what DU's is.
    Way to go, great post!

K $ R ! :D

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
    Soooo.... what's your DU name? :D ;)
    WILLIAM RIVERS PITT!!!!

Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.

WILLIAM RIVERS PITT!!!!

haha!!! Good answer.

From what I've heard about Freak Republic, it's a lot more like DU than CU is. As to the claim that Muslims aren't allowed to post here, I don't know what the writer is talking about. That is neither a written or a de facto rule. I think lately, the ban hammer is being dropped a little too capriciously, a la DU, but CU overall has done nothing but improve in the last 3 years.

The Thunderdome has been toned down a lot, which is actually a big surprise to me. I figured we would be having no end of Obama supporters dropping by to wag their new graven image in front of our noses. I guess that will pick up again later, but we've had enough awesome Thunderdome threads and trolls in the past. Kekkonen, Frankly Speaking, the RP supporters, Davocrat, Eyelids, the list is endless.

Back to the CU = DU premise - I don't buy it. I think we're pretty nice (comparatively) to 'the other side' here, and for the most part, you have to work to get banned here. And let's all not forget the biggest difference between CU and DU: "Democratic" is a political party, "conservative" is a way of life. Our spectrum of ideas here is ten times what DU's is.
    Beautifully said. :)

Someone has to work very, very hard here to get banned. In all the years that I've been here, there haven't been that many banned.

I don't even get Fox news, let alone watch it!

Addendum: In fairness to Conservative Underground, the corresponding idealogical extreme to Democratic Underground was previously the ultra-right Free Republic. It has only been recently that, with a change in the administration of CU and the disappointment in the recent elections, CU has taken on all of the attributes of DU. There are still a few members (and mods) who do not mirror their leftist counterparts
    Poor CW.......:D

Quote:

Conservative Underground (CU) is, as its name implies, a conservative board on which members extol the virtues of God (of the Christian variety, of course -- no Muzzies, as they say, allowed),

OK, first off...when has anyone here ever shoved Christian beliefs down other people's throats and said no "Muzzies" allowed? What the Hell is a Muzzie? Is he/she trying to say Muslim? I don't ever recall people here bashing Muslims other then those who support or envoke terrorism. In fact, I've personally read several posts praising moderate Muslims who stand against all the terrorist BS.

CU worships at the alter of Fox News, its dieties manifesting themselves as Shaun Hannity and Bill O'Reilly

2nd...who the &*%$ here "worships" at the alter of Faux News? While I'll be the first to admit, I enjoy Hannity and think he's spot on about a lot of things, I personally feel O'Reilly is an ass-clown Backbencher. So now this moron just generalizes our entire site based on a few Neo-Cons who might be in our midst?

Lemmie tell you what I think most of us are about, and it's nothing like this dope thinks. We're for the Constitution. Rule of Law. The Bill of Rights. We're about freedom from Government intervention in every area that the Constitution doesn't authorize. We're against the Nanny State. We don't care what color you are, what religion you are, what sex you are or if you're gay or straight: if you're for Freedom and Equality and want to stop the road to Liberalism, a soft Tyranny and ultimately Despotism, we'll welcome you with open arms. We're not for giving Liberals a free ride here. We're here to call them on every lie they tell and to look at things from an open-minded perspective. We don't censor or ban people just because they speak out against our beliefs. We're nothing like DU.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

You always came across to me as an asshole, but this really confirmed it. The "other board" was a direct creation of Gator's power trip an unjustified banning of many good members of this forum. His abuse of his powers is what caused those great members to leave. It really didn't help that when some decided they'd rather not post in a forum where they can be banned for disagreeing with an anti-semite, that they where mocked and ridiculed by others here. The infamous "sex and booze crowd" comment, and others like it is what drove members like Franksolich away.

One year later now, many of those people who left here to go there, are posting here again. On top of that, people from here post there, including Sarasota and StLouisWoman. The hatchet has long been buried by most, but I must say I've seen more people bring the issue up over here lately, then I've seen over there in a long time.

The worst 1% of CU was people like Gator, CW, and LogansPapa. And thankfully, the cool level headed people who now run this place have driven them out.
    Last edited by djones520; 01-12-2009 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    Quote:

Conservative Underground (CU) is, as its name implies, a conservative board on which members extol the virtues of God (of the Christian variety, of course -- no Muzzies, as they say, allowed),

OK, first off...when has anyone here ever shoved Christian beliefs down other people's throats and said no "Muzzies" allowed? What the Hell is a Muzzie? Is he/she trying to say Muslim? I don't ever recall people here bashing Muslims other then those who support or envoke terrorism. In fact, I've personally read several posts praising moderate Muslims who stand against all the terrorist BS.

CU worships at the alter of Fox News, its dieties manifesting themselves as Shaun Hannity and Bill O'Reilly

2nd...who the &*%$ here "worships" at the alter of Faux News? While I'll be the first to admit, I enjoy Hannity and think he's spot on about a lot of things, I personally feel O'Reilly is an ass-clown Backbencher. So now this moron just generalizes our entire site based on a few Neo-Cons who might be in our midst?

Lemmie tell you what I think most of us are about, and it's nothing like this dope thinks. We're for the Constitution. Rule of Law. The Bill of Rights. We're about freedom from Government intervention in every area that the Constitution doesn't authorize. We're against the Nanny State. We don't care what color you are, what religion you are, what sex you are or if you're gay or straight: if you're for Freedom and Equality and want to stop the road to Liberalism, a soft Tyranny and ultimately Despotism, we'll welcome you with open arms. We're not for giving Liberals a free ride here. We're here to call them on every lie they tell and to look at things from an open-minded perspective. We don't censor or ban people just because they speak out against our beliefs. We're nothing like DU.
    By and large I agree with you, except with regards to the bolded. I think a lot of people here, perhaps not the majority, but certainly a very vocal number, have huge issues with anyone who is not heterosexual.

One of my issues with the Republican Party in general is that it allows itself to get sucked into that dividing line, and I personally don't see where that should be in play at the federal level. "Rights" with respect to gay marriage, partnership benefits, etc., should be determined primarily at the state level. I think we hurt our cause at the federal level by being involved in such things.

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    You always came across to me as an asshole, but this really confirmed it. The "other board" was a direct creation of Gator's power trip an unjustified banning of many good members of this forum. His abuse of his powers is what caused those great members to leave. It really didn't help that when some decided they'd rather not post in a forum where they can be banned for disagreeing with an anti-semite, that they where mocked and ridiculed by others here. The infamous "sex and booze crowd" comment, and others like it is what drove members like Franksolich away.

One year later now, many of those people who left here to go there, are posting here again. On top of that, people from here post there, including Sarasota and StLouisWoman. The hatchet has long been buried by most, but I must say I've seen more people bring the issue up over here lately, then I've seen over there in a long time.

The worst 1% of CU was people like Gator, CW, and LogansPapa. And thankfully, the cool level headed people who now run this place have driven them out.

I never banned anyone for personal disagreements. In fact I encouraged the disagreements, big time. I banned some dickheads when their personal disagreements with me flowed over into being a problem with the board, which happen in a few cases. These people don’t take responsibility for their own actions and defined the banning in terms of me but that is not the reality.

Anti Semitism by me only resides in the mind of those that cannot defend the immorality and brutality of the apartheid Israeli government. The same country that attacked America and did tremendous damage to our national security through espionage. I make no apologies for explaining the moral clarity of the reasons why the US should not be involved in the support of Israel, which is a political debate, not a religious or ethnic discussion. You are just too goddamn in love with Israel to understand the difference and that is pathetic.

During my time on CU, which goes back almost to Day One, several people left and started their own forum. Some did it because they just wanted to give it a try and that was fine. Many of us joined these other sites, myself included. However, one group of pussies got all bent out of shape because not everybody on CU was towing the NeoCon line. They didn’t like to be challenged by someone that could actually articulate what was wrong with New Conservatism so they started their own forum. No problem there until they started to undermine CU by deliberately starting trouble with postings and raiding the membership. Several people got banned over that but it wasn’t for their views but the trouble they caused on CU. They are the 1% that it is better that they are not on CU anymore. They can have their little NeoCon love fest site and don’t have to worry about being challenged.

I stepped down as an Admin and except for this single post and a few playful jabs at Patriot45 in the recipe forums I don’t post much anymore. I made the decision to do this so that CU can reach a comfort level. A level that does not include being challenged hard on Liberalism and Neo-Conservatism because I don’t think many people, like yourself, can handle it. You are too fucking immature and like the example in the anti Semite statement above, when pushed in a corner go off the deep end. Because of that we will be hard put to have the old rip roaring discussion that went 1,000 posts. Most people like a more docile CU. A more nurturing and caring CU.

I am not going to respond when you post your stupid reply to this so have it. I could care less about your ideas of CU. I only plan to make one other entry in the next few weeks. I plan to do my annual Martin Luther King Jr Day memorial tribute. I usually post recipes in honor of the great man and discuss the celebration of the national holiday.