Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Anybody ever catch a weasel? 
    My neighbor lady has (had) 5 nice free-roaming chickens. They are wonderful pets, providing fresh eggs every day. 2 nights ago the sweet rooster named Robbie and one of his girls, Ethel, were both beheaded. I discovered them and it was a gruesome sight. I did some research and it appears that a weasel is probably the culprit. Seems that they are not very easy to trap/catch.

The neighbor is bringing the remaining hens into her basement at night, until we get rid of the hungry predator.
    We have access to a live trap, as we will relocate the pest. Apparently they are fond of liver, so we will bait it with liver.

Has anybody been successful with this? I've read that it is not easy to catch these buggers.

Down here the chicken crooks are foxes or raccoons. We don't have any weasels.

Those traps do work. I've caught feral cats, raccoons and possums in mine.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Space Gravy View Post
    Down here the chicken crooks are foxes or raccoons. We don't have any weasels.

Those traps do work. I've caught feral cats, raccoons and possums in mine.
    Well we don't know for sure that it is a weasel,(I've never actually seen one) but it is typical of a weasel to bite the head off. They drink the warm blood. :( We probably have feral cats, foxes, and raccoons too, but my guess is that a weasel is our target.

Weasels are good to have around for varmit control such as mice, rats & snakes,
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
    Well we don't know for sure that it is a weasel,(I've never actually seen one) but it is typical of a weasel to bite the head off. They drink the warm blood. :( We probably have feral cats, foxes, and raccoons too, but my guess is that a weasel is our target.
    This is what a weasel looks like! Stay away from them. :D

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Weasels and Badgers act much the same .Chickens and Rabbits with their heads bitten off when they are hunting .

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Weasels are good to have around for varmit control such as mice, rats & snakes,
    That might be true, but the neighbor, and other neighbors have indoor/outdoor cats, and we are not aware of any mice,rats, or snakes in the area. We have seen moles, but the cats were all over them.

She is most concerned with protecting her chickens. She is on a pretty tight budget, and with young children, the eggs alone make a dent in her grocery bill.

I wonder if we should've set the trap the very next evening, assuming the hungry critter would be back the next night.

Gingersnap, where are you??? She would probably just shoot the danged things.

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Weasels and Badgers act much the same .Chickens and Rabbits with their heads bitten off when they are hunting .
    I read that skunks are similar too. So really, we are not positive WHAT we need to catch.

That might be true, but the neighbor, and other neighbors have indoor/outdoor cats, and we are not aware of any mice,rats, or snakes in the area. We have seen moles, but the cats were all over them.

She is most concerned with protecting her chickens. She is on a pretty tight budget, and with young children, the eggs alone make a dent in her grocery bill.

I wonder if we should've set the trap the very next evening, assuming the hungry critter would be back the next night.

Gingersnap, where are you??? She would probably just shoot the danged things.
    I doubt she'd waste the bullet. She'd somehow do a snake charmer bit with the critter, then crush its skull with her bare hands. Right after she changed the holiday guest towels.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    I doubt she'd waste the bullet. She'd somehow do a snake charmer bit with the critter, then crush its skull with her bare hands. Right after she changed the holiday guest towels.
    hahaha!! And never mess a hair on her head! That's our Ginger!