1. #1 Dad Sells Daughter for Beer, Meat. Not Florida! 
    Dad Sells Girl, Calls Cops to Complain He Wasn't Paid

Updated 2:13 PM PST, Mon, Jan 12, 2009

One hundred cases of beer was only part of what a California man wanted in exchange for his daughter.

A 36-year-old California man was arrested and booked in the Monterey County jail after allegedly selling his daughter for marriage and then calling police to complain that her buyer had not paid off his debt.

Greenfield, Calif., police said Marcelino de Jesus Martinez, 36, tried to arrange for his 14-year-old daughter to marry Margarito de Jesus Galindo, 18, for $16,000 and 100 cases of beer, along with several cases of meat and other items.

After the girl moved in with Galindo, Martinez called police to complain that he hadn't been paid. Police said he asked for their help getting his daughter back.

Martinez's daughter did return home, but he was arrested and booked on suspicion of bartering her –– "receiving money for causing person to cohabitate."

Galindo, the intended buyer/groom, was booked on suspicion of statutory rape, police said.

Police said the practice of arranged marriage in some cultures is not relevent in the case, and even if it were, California law doesn't go for it when one or both parties have been coerced.
    It wasn't even Bacon-In-A-Can. :mad:

Beer Barter

In India, $16,000 and 100 cases of beer is a dowry.

that's what I thought reading this. But then with a dowery you get the goods before you send the daughter.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    that's what I thought reading this. But then with a dowery you get the goods before you send the daughter.
    In India, you send the goods and your daughter to her new husband. That's why India is big on aborting females.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Patent Member
    He should've just pled Muslim. I'm sure this sort of transgression would have been forgiven.

He's apparently Mexican, so he'll get off with a warning, and a bunch of free departing gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by ironhorsedriver View Post
    He's apparently Mexican, so he'll get off with a warning, and a bunch of free departing gifts.
    what gave him away? the beer thing? or the name? ;)
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Well thank heaven it wasn't in FL...or MO. :D
    May the FORCE be with you!

A 36-year-old California man was arrested and booked in the Monterey County jail after allegedly selling his daughter for marriage and then calling police to complain that her buyer had not paid off his debt.
    A degenerate and a dolt.
    "If every poor man is to come here and start requesting money for all his children, the applicants will never be satisfied and the nation's finances will collapse." Emperor Tiberius: Tacitus:Annals